Saturday, March 26, 2011

Have I mentioned...

... that Michael can say his name now? 2 weeks ago, he suddenly started saying it as clear as day...with the /k/ in the middle and the /l/ on the end. Before he called himself "My". I am so excited for him. He is equally impressed with himself...he marches around the house chanting his name. As for his siblings? We are working on it. He has always called both of them Nee. I have no idea why. Now when pressed he will say, "Lih-ee" and "Nee-rew". Getting closer...

... that Andrew made it into the "gifted" program at school? We are really happy for him, because it means he'll get to do special challenging projects and have the same gifted teacher throughout elementary school. I figure that it is always good to have another professional in the school who knows your child well to advocate for them. In order to get this label, he had to pass through 3 stages...preliminary evaluations by the gifted teacher, a standardized test that gives an indicator of IQ, and then a one-on-one actual IQ test with the school psychologist. So now I know his actual IQ. Weird.

... that I love our new neighbors? Yesterday I was trying to scrub down our house a bit in preparation for the in-laws coming. Not that I feel I need to. Certainly they have seen my house in utter disarray and never once have commented negatively. But it seems like the nice thing to do if I have the time and energy for it. Why let them use the sink in the kids' restroom with toothpaste caked on every surface. Even though it will be that way again tomorrow...seriously...does anyone else have kids that spray their toothpaste spit like an aerosol can? Annoying. I digress. Lily was desperate to play pretend. I even pretended to be cleaning her castle as I was cleaning the bathroom. Finally, in desperation, and knowing that I wanted to do the kitchen floor, I called our neighbors. They have a son in Andrew's class and a daughter 2 weeks older than Lily. Sure enough, Ali was at home also bugging her mom to play. Although her mom was trying to write a paper for college...a bit more important than scrubbing the tub. So Ali came over. And the girls played for hours...quietly and happily. It was a dream! Until Michael woke up and wanted to play too. But even that wasn't too bad. And then when the boys came home from school, they decided to play at Garrett's house so they didn't get bothered by the girls. This must be a dream, right? Kids that get along? 3 houses away? A friendly, nice mother? Husbands that get along? It is almost certain that Jeff will take a job transfer now.

...that Jeff has been working AWESOME hours the past 2 weeks? He is training to be a scab...the union at a local plant is negotiating their contract soon, and Jeff's company is training their salaried employees to do the operators' jobs in case of a strike. The hours are 7-3 and the plant is only 20 minutes from our house. In his regular job, he leaves at 6:15...travels on the train for an hour...leaves work at 4:30...takes the train home and finally walks in the door at about 6pm. I am going to cry when his training is over and we're back to normal schedule. A girl could get used to this.

... that Andrew is taking chess? Our township is offering a class right after school...in Andrew's school. And Andrew loves it. I should have known. He is learning at lightning speed and is obsessed with plays and strategy. He can't wait to play with his grandpa this weekend. However, in his desperation for opponents, he's been trying to play with Lily. In frustration he called out, "Mom!?! Lily is terrible at chess!" to which I had to remind him that she is ONLY 4!!! But he has a hard time understanding that he can't just teach her the things he's learning. This morning, he was trying to teach her how to multiply. She gets all frustrated...of course...and I have to remind him that perhaps addition...or COUNTING...might be a better place to start.

...that Michael is really getting ready to turn 3? He has been having screaming fits of frustration. He is still an easy kid, but he's showing signs...oh. It makes us sad. But a little relieved too. I really don't want him living in our basement when he's 40, so a little independence isn't a bad thing. Right? That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

... that Jeff and I have a couples-only trip planned for October? I'm so excited. There's one catch. I have to be able to run a 5-K in order to go. We will be running in the Baltimore Under Armour 5K in October...complete with a commemorative Under Armour t-shirt. I am going to start training in April...because I'm too chicken to run in the dark, and I have to have my running finished by the time Jeff leaves for work at 6:15am. I am not scared of people, by the way. I have been startled by way too many deer and raccoons and other such wildlife. :) So, anyway, the Couch to 5K training will begin April 1st. Of course, I'm due to get my period on April 1st. So that's a sucky way to start. But whatev's. I want a trip away...I'm DOING this. Which is exactly why Jeff planned it...I almost got to that level last summer...I was running 25 minutes at the end...but then Jeff started traveling (3 weeks in the month of August if I remember correctly...) and I just kind of let it go. Not this year.

... that another week has gone by and Andrew has not been put in danger or in need of a doctor? Phew on that one. I was really worried about the rule of 3's in regard to our parenting mishaps.

5 comments:

CARRIE said...

That's great that they have a gifted program that starts that young. I don't think our school system does anything until they are 4th grade.

I can't believe Michael will be 3 either. I mean, you were JUST whining about the surprise pregnancy weren't you?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like happy times at your house! Neighbors with kids that play nicely with yours is such a blessing. The little girl across the street has saved my sanity and cured Bryn's boredom many a time. Good for you doing the 5K! Nothing like a trip to motivate :) But I have to ask, what is Under Armour? I guess I could google it.

bluedaisy said...

Go Andrew and go YOU with the 5k. Still working on that myself (well, not working on it but thinking about it). I'd kind of like to know my own IQ but it's probably a scary number in my case!

Jen Milheim said...

Want a training partner? I need to get moving myself. We can walk/run together at least until we move. Let me know if you want company.

Kelsey said...

I will be really interested on hearing more about your experience w/ the gifted program. The one in our elementary school (it is district wide) is run so poorly that we will not be seeking it out. I would need some serious convincing to participate. I am confident that not all gifted programs are like this.

You can totally do a 5K - no one said you had to be fast, right?