Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You can pin that award right here on my t-shirt

I have devised a way to make my children eat broccoli.

It is quite brilliant, if I may say so myself.

It may well be my shining moment as a mother. If I don't win the Mother of the Year award for this one, it is quite possible that I will never achieve it.

Last night, I made steamed broccoli. No salt, no butter, no cheese. Just steamed broccoli.

Tonight, Andrew ate 3 helpings of broccoli (about 5 pieces per helping). Lily, yes MY LILY, ate 2 helpings. Michael also ate 2 helpings.

Now you are dying to know my secret, aren't you?

It is well established that we do a lot of pretend play in this house. So one night a few weeks ago I speared a head of broccoli and dramatically said, "Yum! I like eating trees! I sure hope there's nothing living in this tree!" I started chewing and then exclaimed, "Oh! Monkeys! I'm eating monkeys!"

As you can imagine, it soon became a game to see what animals were living in their broccoli spears...I mean, trees. And the only way to find out is to actually eat it. Lily literally doesn't even notice that she's eating the broccoli, she is so eager to tell me what animal is living in her tree.

They just can't shove it in fast enough.

-sigh- It doesn't happen all that often...this self-satisfaction in motherhood. And I swear if one of you tells me that broccoli has just been found to cause stomach worms or something, I will stick my fingers in my ears and sing la-la-la.

Also last night we enjoyed my kids' favorite baked chicken. It is going into heavy rotation, since the last 2 times I've made it, the children have eaten 2 chicken breasts between the 3 of them. (that's a lot for my kids). I shall share:

Parmesan-Dijon Chicken

Melt 1/2 stick of butter. Add 2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard and mix.
Mix 3/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese in a baggie.

Dip chicken in the butter/mustard mixture. One by one, shake the dipped chicken in the bag of crumbs/cheese until coated completely. Place in a baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

A new family favorite :)

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Way to go on the broccoli! And the chicken sounds good!

Aunt Sara said...

Impressive! And I'm stealing the chicken recipe :)

HawleyFamily said...

Great job Giselle! My kids pretend they are giants eating the Broccoli trees! The funny thing is that it makes me totally GAG because I hate it, but I gotta eat it to set a good example so I put a smile on my face and swallow quickly!! hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Don't you love those moments when you outsmart your kids and get them to do something that's good for them...and LIKE it?! I'm going to try your chicken recipe, sounds tasty.

bluedaisy said...

I might be using that chicken recipe tonight or tomorrow b/c I am in desperate need of new ideas! Also, the broccoli? Awesome! My mom-in-law calls them trees also but the idea of what's IN the trees is a great one & might just go over in this household too :) Enjoy this moment...and don't ever doubt that you are a fantastic Mom each and every day!!

Kelsey said...

Your award is in the mail. :-)

CARRIE said...

I nominate G for MOTHER OF THE YEAR.
Do I have a second?
(every member of the audience stands up and says, "I second!)
Hurray!

d e v a n said...

Yum!

wtg on the broccoli!

Erin said...

Gold star! Eating monkeys?! Hahaha!