Monday, March 14, 2011

Small but smart

Last week, Michael was sitting in the back of the car and talking about...who knows. This is the hardest time for me to interpret his speech...alone in the car. Because there are zero context clues and the possibilities of what he could have seen/thought about are endless. He babbled something incoherent and I made a guess.

He sighed and said, "Dat naugh wha I say'n, ma" (that's not what I'm saying, Mom)

I asked him if he'd like to try again and he said no and sadly gazed out the window.

Break my heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conversely, today he was sitting in the back of the car and we were talking about what to have for lunch. Lily said she wanted a peanut butter sandwich, NO JELLY! Of course. And then she asked if jelly was good for you.

Michael pops into the conversation and says, "Jeh-ee. J-J-J Jeh-ee. Jeh-ee star wi J!" (Jelly starts with J!)

I swear this kid will be reading before he speaks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael rolled the baby stroller up to Jeff and I this weekend. He said, "I da Daddy an di my bay-ee" (I'm the daddy and this is my baby)

Lily pipes in from across the room, "And I'm the mommy. But I'm eating, so Daddy is going to take care of the baby."

Jeff and I chuckle at how we are teaching our children the roles of parents. He ribs me for teaching my daughter that the daddy should take care of things while mommy eats.

And then a few minutes later, Michael brought me the baby and said, "Ma? Bay-ee poo." I told him he'd better change the baby. He replied, "You do it. Daddy dough cha poo." (Daddys don't change poo)

Guess who got ribbed then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were at a friend's house for dinner and Michael was putting yet another baby doll to bed. He wrapped her up and placed her carefully in the crib. Then he said in a whispering voice, "Bay-ee slee. I scee bay-ee. BOOOOOOO! Waaaaaaa!" (Baby sleeps. I scare the baby. Then he screamed at her and made a crying sound). Repeat 20 times. So stinkin' cute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oooh I love these Michael stories!

He is smart Giselle - holy cow. I'm working really hard not to compare children right now...

The dads not changing poo is one of my favorite blog stories ever.

CARRIE said...

Not to take over your blog post, but Michael's comment about "that's not what I'm sayin" reminded me of what G used to say about 6-8 months ago when I couldn't understand what he was saying,
"I know wha I talk about." (I know what I'm talking about.)
Which, I guess for him, was all that really mattered.
Speech issues are a pain but extremely cute too.