Friday, April 20, 2007

Embracing the "girlie"

Nice bow, Lily

You can't tell real well, but Lily's eyes are just about the same color as that sweater. Beautiful baby blue eyes...courtesy of Daddy. Flecks of tan inside those baby blues? Courtesy of Mommy's baby-poop yellow/brown eyes.



As you may recall, I was a bit hesitant to have a girl. Mainly because I am hardly one myself. But as Lily grows older, I find myself enjoying the "girlie-girl" things more and more.

I find myself purposefully picking out pink things (like bibs, bottles, etc). I opened up a case of hand-me-down clothes from my friend Angie (thanks again, Ang), and clapped with joy at the 3 bags of little girl shoes inside. Little sandals, patten-leather, you name it. Lily has yet to wear any, because I still feel like shoes on a non-mobile child are pointless...just one more thing to fight with during diaper changes. But I love admiring them...so cute. I find myself buying a sundress or little girl romper every time I go to Target or Kohl's. It's like cocaine...I just can't help myself. If I were addicted to cocaine. Luckily for me, my addictions are limited to candy...and apparently sundresses.

And finally, the bows. Lily has a lot of hair. A lot. Little Velcro do-hickies that are made for tiny heads are a joke. I've searched high and low for a little barrette that can clip back Lily's hair. The pigtails are cute, but sometimes you don't want something so severe, you know? So while out to dinner one night, a waitress told me about this little children's boutique here in town that has AWESOME little bows that really hold that baby-fine hair.

So I went. Baby boutiques are frickin' ridiculous. I saw a T-shirt in Andrew's size for $35!!! He would spill ketchup on it the first day and ruin it. I don't know how people spend so much on kid's clothes.

But I bought a $3 bow while there. Two of them, actually. (See pictures above of the white one. She also has a purple one) I LOVE THEM. They are so stinkin' cute in her hair, I almost squeeze her to death every time I put one in. They are easy as pie to put in, and the clip is so strong, it doesn't slip out of her hair. LOVE THEM. They are small enough they don't dwarf her little peanut head. LOVE THEM.

When I told Jeff how much they cost, he laughed and told Lily that she better use them for a long time. That her wedding dress had better match this little white bow.

Funny guy. He knew we'd lose money if we had a girl. Oh, just let me get started...:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I reiterate? "So Stinkin' Cute" She just keeps getting cuter. Jeff you are in so much trouble! Get the convents number NOW!

Kelsey said...

I think I need some of those for Harper. We have yet to find anything that will stay in her hair, which is very thin.

Lily is really adorable! I wish we could meet her in person, but Philly is really lengthy car ride from here!

Laura said...

Have you come across the "No Slippy Hair Clippy?" (yes this really is the name!)

I'm thrilled that you're happily embracing all of the sweet little accessories that come with having a girl. Before you know it, you'll be taking Lily out for mani's and pedi's and shopping. And you'll learn to love that too!

Hooray for both of you!

Erin said...

Awwww!

But I have to say, I must be the mother of a boy (soon to be boyS), because I kept thinking you were writing about Lily's bows, as in taking a bow, like at the end of a performance. And I thought she was a little young to have mastered that. It only took the first three paragraphs to catch on. DUH.