Thursday, April 26, 2007

Great imagination...or just plain weird?

Andrew is a clone of his father...at least from the skin out. I'm afraid I've had a very big influence on his personality, however. The latest trait to rear its ugly head...an overactive imagination.

Yesterday night, I went upstairs to put Lily to bed for the night. When I came back downstairs, Andrew was sitting on Jeff's lap...and they were facing a blank wall in our living room. I asked what they were doing, and Jeff answered, looking a little bewildered, "We're watching a tendering movie."

I'll translate. Pretending was orginally interpreted by Andrew to be "Tender" as in, "This is a tender ice cream cone, Mom, not a real one." Now it is "tendering".

So they were watching a pretend movie on our blank wall. Andrew was telling Jeff what it was all about. I believe it had something to do with Aliens and fighting them with a red sword.

-sigh- An active imagination is a great thing...but when you start watching blank walls...has it gone too far?

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

I love it! What a good father, Jeff, for being willing to play along. I think some parts of Andrew and Harper are cut from the same cloth, as she is also a big fan of "peetendeen." Lately anything she can climb in or put over herself is a dog house.

Have you ever heard someone say that really intelligent children are never bored? That's exactly why!

Andrea said...

How I wish we lived closer because Ryan watches "petend" tv all the time! He even uses a pretend remote and makes noises to signal the channel changing!
Oh and he does this in lieu of a nap sometimes

Andrea said...

Well at least we don't have to worry about Andrew playing games by himself one day! You'll make sure he always has a partner!

CARRIE said...

I can see him one day becoming his generation's Albert Einstein with all that creativity he has.