Wednesday, December 19, 2007

How much is enough?

I have written about Andrew and his disinterest in Santa. I have written about Andrew seeming to understand the true meaning of Christmas. I have written about how cheap I am. So why can't I stop trying to make Andrew greedy and materialistic this Christmas?



I spent the money I wanted to spend on Andrew this year (about $100) and then went to wrap last weekend. I had 3 gifts from Jeff and I and 2 from Santa. 2 gifts from Santa? What fun is that? He'll have his gifts opened in about 15 minutes. Andrew is already totally apathetic about Santa already. If he brings him 2 gifts, he'll never jump on the bandwagon. So do I give him all 5 gifts from Santa and none from his parents? Ouch. That kind of hurts...why didn't Mommy and Daddy get him anything? So I did what any materialistic parent would do. I went shopping again. That's right...I braved ToysRUs a week before Christmas. Without the children (because Andrew certainly can't be tricked anymore).



So now Andrew will have 3 gifts from us and 5 gifts from Santa and one gift to him and Lily from Santa. And stocking stuffers. And I feel so much better about Christmas now that I have those 3 more gifts. And they are toys, even though he doesn't play with toys much. Oh, and I got Lily 3 more things also. Who could resist? 3 more gifts. How stupid. And yet, the greedy little kid in me feels so much better for Andrew. Who probably wouldn't care.



I am so setting myself up for trouble when he gets older. 8 gifts will probably cost thousands of dollars. YIKES!

5 comments:

Marie Green said...

I have this problem too. I have to remember to ask myself- is this for ME or for THEM? Also, I ask myself- what will really DELIGHT them?

These questions help me from turning them into gluttons.

And hey, Christmas IS magical for the kiddos, right?

Unknown said...

Giselle,

I love your blog. I think when I return to Cincinnati I will start a blog where I can express exactly how I am feeling and the highs and lows of life. But I will never be able to do it as well as you.

Hang in there, you are wonderful.

Chris Boone
chrispboone@gmail.com

Kelsey said...

Harper gets it enough that I keep having to remind her that she probably won't get everything she's ever thought she wanted for Christmas this year. At the same time I'm worried that we don't have enough gifts for under the tree to make it really special Christmas morning (especially since Matt and I are getting very little for each other this year). So I am trying to make it wonderful/special even though my kid is already greedy!

Christmas makes us all nuts.

Anonymous said...

Colin gets one gift from santa-- the really big gift. Probably because I have to divide his gifts THREE ways-- santa/family/birthday.

Erin said...

Awww. You won't reegret one bit having a few extra presents. Andrew is at the prime Christmasa age. Live it up!