Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Post script about the shots

As if I need more reasons to brag about Andrew...

He was INCREDIBLE this morning. I had a friend watch Lily because I'd heard such horror stories about these boosters. So it was fun being just Andrew and I for a while. Even if it ended so horribly for him. He loved showing off for the nurses and doctors. He got his hearing and vision tested for the first time...which he thought was SO COOL. The doctor asked developmental questions of him, like, "Do you know your colors?" and "Can you count to 6?" which Andrew proudly slammed out of the ball park. When she asked him things like, "Can you ride a bike or a scooter?" he just smoothly lied. "Yes, I have a scooter. I'm really good at riding it." (huh? we don't own a scooter, and he doesn't have a clue about riding a bike). Then the doctor asked us to wait for the nurse to come back in, gave me a knowing look, and left. We waited for 25 minutes. At which point my bright 4 year old knew something was up. He'd had all the check-ups...what else could be left? What could we be waiting for? He figured it out pretty quickly (without me saying a word) that he was getting a shot. I confirmed it, but told him I thought it was just one (what sane person could face 5 shots???). Then, seeing his concern, and being the nerd that I am, I started describing measles, mumps, and rubella to him. Making them out to be the terrible diseases that they are. He told me he didn't want to get THOSE (especially the big cheeks...that freaked him out for some reason). So I explained that this shot would protect him so he would never have to worry about getting it. Being the nerd that HE is, he liked that answer and calmly awaited his fate.

Nurse came in. I wrapped my arms around him, just leaving his upper arms exposed. This was probably the best position, since I've always been Andrew's security item...it helped to have me wrapped all around him. And then he got 3 shots in the first arm. He never pulled away. He didn't make a sound. I heard a little whimper...that's it. I rotated in the chair and we waited for the next two. Again...not a struggle, not a peep. He was bleeding out of the first arm, so I joked that he'd sprung a leak. While he was half laughing/half crying about that, he got the next two shots. I didn't even need to restrain him. The nurse commented that it was one of the easiest 4 year old appointments she's had in a while. As soon as the nurse finished, he started to cry. He was so brave. He cried for about the next 40 minutes...not hysterically...just a lot. And then he milked my sympathy all day...I think he must have watched 3 hours of television.

The sad ending to the story of my brave boy, is that I think they mixed up the vaccinations. Instead of injecting live viruses, I think they injected crazy juice. Because he is hyped up like I've never seen him. Oh, wait. Maybe that's because he watched THREE HOURS OF TV.

Lord, this got long winded. Here are his stats: 44" tall (off the charts in percentiles), 43lbs6oz (90th%ile). Smart as a whip and a smooth liar. Charmer extraordinaire. Despite eating virtually no vegetables, he seems healthy as a horse. Good boy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!!

Kate said...

Ahem-- I've noticed the pictures have been kinda skimpy on here for a while... let's see some pictures of my niece and nephew that are growing up so fast! (Hate to nag... but I miss them!)

Andrea said...

Man, Andrew is going to pass me up in height by the time he's 7... I just know it!