Friday, December 14, 2007

Matthew, Matthew, and MORE Matthew's

The Social Security list swears that the name Jacob has been number one for the last 5 years or so in this country. And I do know a few little boys named Jake or Jacob. No more than other names...in fact less than many. Did you know that the name Michael is #2? I don't know a single little boy named Michael. I met one once in California who was about 3 years older than Andrew. I meet kids named Aidan everywhere I go. Between that and Brayden, Jaden, and Caden, I think that sums up 1/2 of the little boys Andrew's age.

Names definitely are regional. When I was working at a school in CA, there were 3 little girls named Chandler. Three. I have never again met ANYONE named Chandler since. In Kentucky, there seemed to be an influx of Luke's and Lucas's. And a huge number of children with names starting with vowels. I met them everywhere I went. Here in Pennsylvania, I am amazed at the number of little boys named Gavin. There are 4 in my mom's club (30 members)!!! And apparently, Matthew is a big name as well.

At least for Andrew. His first real friend here in PA was a little boy named Matthew. We now refer to him as, "playgroup Matthew". He is a sweet little boy about a year younger than Andrew. I think his parent's probably think Andrew is a bad influence (where else would there son have learned sword-fighting?), but the boys have great time together.

Then we started 3 year old pre-school. Andrew's best buddy, his "soul-mate" if you will, is a little boy named Matthew. Andrew calls him "Math" for short. And yells across the parking lot, "I love you Matthew." His teachers say they balance each other out as far as serious vs fun-loving goes.

At playgroup on Wednesday night, we met another Matthew. He is 8 years old and he and Andrew hit it off. They played happily for 2 hours that night. This Matthew actually asked if Andrew could come over and play sometime. Such a nice little boy.

So I'm starting to lean towards Matthew as the name for #3. Why not? I'm starting to have very good connotations. But it does seem like every other little boy we meet has this name. Not Matt. Matthew.

Oh, and Andrew is still insisting the baby's name is Chris. Christopher Paul to be exact. He actually said this yesterday, "Oh, there's someone named Chris in this book. Now we know 3 Chris's. Chris from this book, Chris from Zooboomafoo, and Chris our baby." There is no convincing him that we may not name the baby that. For him...it is decided. Has anyone else out there dealt with this? We've tried to explain that the mom and dad pick the name, not the big brother. Hmmmm, at least we still have 17 weeks to get him off that name. Although, what will he pick next? This is better than Garcia.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

I think I know more Matthews than anything in the 0-4 age range!
Even worse - I have 3 friends named Jenn (of course!) who all have sons named Matthew.
Only one is a Matt though. I like it and think it sounds good with Andrew and Lily :)

Annie said...

I personally am partial to Matt/Matthew, it being my brother's name. When he was born, though, 3-year-old-me called him "New Math" according to Mom. My question is what ever happened to Xerxes?

Katie B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelsey said...

Obviously I'm a fan of Matt or Matthew, a name that has worked out great for my husband! He's never had too much trouble with it being a popular name (in that it didn't bother him, I think it's always been popular). The name we're likely to go with for our son is also very popular, but I love it so I don't care.

Anonymous said...

I know 100% what you mean about names being regional. I don't know a single Matthew under the age of 18 (I know OF a few, but not directly). I love the name, personally, and I think it goes very nicely with Andrew & Lily.

Instead of letting Megan "help" pick Owen's name (she was too young to care with Hannah) we had a list of the fridge that we kept crossing names off of. She asked to make her own list (compliled of boys in her preschool class and ones from books) and then SHE'D cross one off every few days (hmmm...I don't think that Colby is quite right). It made her feel a part of it without me having to promise to go with something like DiMaggio (a character in some book).

Hopefully if you don't come around on Christopher, Andrew won't be too disappointed to have a brother with a different name!

Giselle said...

Not that I'm paranoid, but can we keep my last name out of these discussions? My first name is already distinctive enough...and I'm sure I'm being naive...but I just hate putting it out there.

Sorry to delete your comment, Kate. For the record, she wanted to remind my husband of his favorite (loserish) names, Dexter and Xerxes. Yes, thanks for that. ;) Unless your child happens to be named Dexter or Xerxes in which case, A+ for creativity.

Katie B. said...

Aack! Sorry 'bout that--wasn't thinking straight.

Erin said...

I'm pushing for Jerome for one of the boys (you, Kelsey, or Emily). WILL YOU PLEASE USE JEROME? It is a vastly underused name and it deserves a little appreciation.

Anonymous said...

How about Matthew Christopher and keep everyone happy? Erin, we would have to go with Gerald for my Dad instead of Jerome. Because his nickname would be Gerry. Sorry

Kate said...

I know ONE Matthew under 4 in all the storytimes I do-- and he is the sweetest little guy. I'm loving that name, but I know how secretive you are about names-- and if you're talking about it now, it's not going to happen. Sigh.

Is Tate still a possibility?