Sunday, December 02, 2007

"Wow!"

Being a parent the second time around is such a different experience. When Andrew was 14 months old, he was our entire world. We literally sat around the table and watched him eat. Kind of pathetic. But wonderful and enjoyable. I read him books around the clock, I talked at him constantly, trying to give him clues about how to speak to us. We tried new activities to see if he was ready yet (can he hold a crayon yet? can he use a spoon?).

Lily doesn't quite get that attention to details. I kind of just "catch" her doing things, and then I think in my head, "Oh, perhaps I should have been working with her on that." And I wonder if and when she'll ever do certain things. Like eat with a spoon. I just don't give it to her, because cleaning up after 2 kids seems daunting indeed. It was cute when Andrew spread ravioli all in his hair, but to have to clean up Lily while getting Andrew ready, etc etc. I often wonder if this is why Lily isn't walking. I just don't walk with her. And there is nowhere good to cruise in our house. And Andrew would probably knock her down anyway. Poor baby.

And yet, despite this "neglect", Lily is thriving and learning new things. Despite me. Her comprehension of what we are saying amazes me. She already follows directions, like, "Lily, bring me the baby." And she will! We already have to be careful what we say around her, because she is always listening. Heaven forbid we mention a bath...Lily instantly starts pointing towards the steps shouting, "Ba! Ba!" And her vocabulary continues to increase. My new favorite is "Wow!" We pass Christmas displays, and Lily says, "Wowwwww" in this cute little drawn out voice. If only I were technologically advanced enough to post video for you all. Seriously. It's heart-melting. Other things she's done out of the blue? She loves taking Andrew's MatchBox cars and putting them into a plastic bucket and then dumping them out. Pile them in, dump them out, over and over. (And, yes, I know those cars are for 3 and up and choking hazards and all that. Did I mention how she does this quietly over and over again? Offering Mommy some off time. Go ahead. Judge me.) Anyhoo, we were reading books on the couch (which only happens a few times a week for poor Lily), and she picked up a car and made a Vrrrroooming sound as she moved it around. Hmmm? I've never played cars with her, and Andrew doesn't really play with them anymore. Well, he does, but they play football, they don't drive around. A few weeks ago, I walked into the playroom/disaster zone, and Lily was holding a pencil trying to write on paper. Um, I haven't done anything like that with her...never actually occurred to me at this point. Turns out, she LOVES to color. Huh! I wonder how she knew?

Anyway, this big long rambling post has no real point. Just a little chronicle of how my little girl amazes me. In spite of me, she is growing up and learning new things. It makes me proud of her. I hope #3 is as self-sufficient. Because if I don't play with Lily now, I can't imagine what having 3 kids is like. Yikes!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Giselle,

This post reminds me a little of the way I feel about kids and school. I think great teachers and great schools are awesome for kids. And I also think that many/most kids will learn from just about any school/teacher. Kids are just hard-wired for learning. There are all kinds of things I could do with Harper that I don't get hyper about doing, because I know that she's pretty much going to learn what she's ready for regardless of my level of intervention. I don't mean to say that parenting/interacting aren't important. But think of the rich environment your home is for Lily, even without you going out of the way to make it so. Andrew only had you to learn from, but she gets to watch you and Andrew, and watch you interact with each other, all the time. Of course some kids need more support than others, but I'd say Lily is doing well because of her innate abilities as well as the great family she has. Especially with your training as a teacher, I am sure you do all kinds of wonderful/important things that you don't realize you're even doing. I have always been inspired by the way you are as a mother. You're doing a great job!