Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Honeymoons

After people get married, they usually take a honeymoon...if they're lucky. And this honeymoon is a bit of a suspension of reality. You are in a beautiful locale, not working, having lots of sex, spending literally days talking and getting to know each other, no dishes, no dirty laundry...great stuff. Then you get home and you are tired and have issues with each other and basically spend the first year learning how to live together.

I feel there is something similar that happens after a baby is born. Not the sex. Or the lack of dirty laundry. But the suspension of reality.

And Michael's honeymoon is officially over.

-sigh-

He was sleeping well, eating well, and generally laid back and happy (sleeping) most of the time. Now he fusses more, wants to be held most of the time, wants to be up all night, he eats like crap during the night, and his latch has all fallen to pieces...which makes Mommy's udders hurt like HELL.

Lucky for Michael, he catches up on all his sleep during the day. Unlucky for Mommy, she has 2 other children who are actually diurnal as opposed to nocturnal.

But 4-5 non-consecutive hours are plenty of sleep for a mommy of 3, right? Sleep is overrated, right? And isn't this what TV was invented for?

Now I'm off to try and wake my infant as he tries to stretch out his feedings during the day. Every 2 hours when the sun is down and every 4 hours when the sun is up just doesn't fly. I don't care if he's only 14 days old. Let's remember that "every 2 hours" counts from the start of one feeding to the start of the next. So if each feeding takes 45 minutes (including diaper changes, etc)...you get the idea.

-sigh-

I knew this...it isn't a surprise. It's just going to take awhile to adjust to living together, Michael and I.

6 comments:

HawleyFamily said...

I completely understand what you are saying. I know it is simple for me to say that this will pass, but when you are in the middle of it that reassurance just does not help AT ALL! I remember just balling my eyes out several times because I was SO exhausted when Ashley had her days and nights mixed up. Hang in there! It gets easier with three!

Kate said...

Ah yes. My ovaries just shriveled up. I will remain the happy aunt and Mother to the sweetest 3 year-old on the planet. Miss talking to you... but don't want to wake you up. Call me sometime if you have 3 seconds.

Michelle said...

I so feel your pain. I can remember the TEARS when Jaxson had his days and nights mixed up for 7 flipping weeks. I was a mess. And I didn't even have 2 other kids to chase then. So you get LOADS of sympathy. Wish some of us girls were closer to help. Hope you get some rest. Take care.

Emily said...

Ugh. I feel like we are digressing in the night sleeping, too. Darnit, I thought we'd be moving FORWARD. Someone needs to talk to these boys and tell them that nights are for sleeping, days are for (happy) awake time.

Here's sending you nighttime sleepy vibes...

Erin said...

Oh I KNOW! That honeymoon is so great, but you know it's going to end and BAH. But remember how great that 8-10 month old time is? It's like a second honeymoon. Before the horror and agony of toddlerdom.

Kelsey said...

Sorry to hear your honeymoon was interrupted. I don't think ours has started yet, as were still mandated to set alarms to wake Michael up at night and feed him. We're in some kind of pre-honeymoon madness. I'm hoping we get a honeymoon, and then we'll be where you are!

Hang in there.