Monday, May 17, 2010

The toast

Andrea was stunningly beautiful. Dave was handsome and calm and eager. There were tears of happiness, but a lot more laughter. I met Dave's family...and I know Andrea is set up for a GREAT life with these people. They are lucky to have her, and she is lucky to have them. I was allowed to give a toast at the reception. I KNOW! The bride was also very brave. :)

Here is the toast as it was supposed to be. Once I got up there and I had to speak into a microphone while balancing a glass of wine...it didn't quite turn out this way. I move my hands A LOT when I'm speaking in front of a crowd, so I felt a little out of balance. I also allegedly started to cry in the middle of it. Allegedly. But I got MOST of it in there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The toast...not Roast...Toast.

Hello! For those of you who don't know me, I'm Giselle, one of Andrea's older sisters. The YOUNGER older sister if you must know. And I cannot believe that we are celebrating my baby sister's wedding today. Partly because they've been engaged for what...7 years or something? But mostly because Andrea is our baby.

To put it into perspective, when I left home to go away to college, Andrea was about to start 5th grade. When I got married, and Andrea walked down the aisle in my wedding, she was just about to begin her freshman year in high school. And then I moved away, and I haven't lived in Ohio since.

So perhaps that makes me the LEAST qualified person to stand up here and talk about Andrea and Dave...since I didn't witness the evolution of their relationship. But we are a family of girls...and girls TALK. We talk TO each other and ABOUT each other and we just talk and talk and talk. So I've heard stories...oh! Like about Dave shoveling the snow off of Andrea's car before class...even though he had a broken hand. And about Andrea fishing and camping...as if I ever thought THAT would happen. I've seen Dave coo and cuddle my babies when he thought no one was watching and I've seen Andrea support Dave's hobbies even when it means she might have to spend a day alone with little to do. I'm amazed at how they have embraced new interests while still maintaining their true selves.

And I'm excited for them. Because I see marriage as one of life's greatest opportunities. In the rest of your existence here on earth, you kind of get "stuck" with your family. You don't get to pick your parents, or your siblings, your grandparents, cousins, or aunts and uncles. You don't have any say in your in-laws, children, or grandchildren. With all these people, you must etch a relationship out despite personality clashes, differing interests and hobbies, moods, you name it. And often you get really lucky...but it is not by your choosing.

And then...you get this one chance...this one opportunity to go out into the world and select a family member. You can choose someone whose gifts and talents and quirks and idiosyncrasies balance out your own and make you a bit better when you go out into the big world.

I think you two have made a great selection. But don't forget that even though you are your own family now, the rest of us that you got "stuck" with will always be here for you...supporting you when you need help and cheering with you while you celebrate. Best wishes, and I love you!

6 comments:

CARRIE said...

A really nice toast!

bluedaisy said...

What a lovely toast! Now this is your second post in a row to get me a bit teary-eyed...and I love both of them :)

Andrea said...

AWWWW you got me teary and I don't even know your sister! Congrats to her anyway!!!

Sarah said...

And not a single humiliating comment! The perfect toast.

Joanne said...

That is so sweet - I don't even know your sister and I'm tearing up!

Anonymous said...

phoelsiLovely - it made me tear up too.
Susan - a real life friend of Carrie's