Monday, May 17, 2010

Why I love this man...

I have so much to write about our whirlwind wedding weekend. I wish I had more pictures to share...but with 3 kids and poor lighting...well...not much to post.

But before I do, I have to share a story about Jeff. I don't write much about him here...mostly because he reads it (if you know what I mean). ;) Also, mushy-gushy posts tend to sound insincere, forced, and icky here in bloggy land...in my opinion anyway. And since I am often mushy-gushy about him, I choose not to sicken you all ;) So here's a little glimpse into WHY I can be so mushy-gushy.

We had a blast at this wedding. But in the past, weddings have made us quite amorous towards each other. Whether it is the minister's words on marriage, spending the day remembering our own wedding day, or slow dancing under dimmed lights...weddings take us back to when we chose to join our lives. And that makes us twitterpated...a bit. But Saturday we were distracted by a million little things...let's just say the 3 physical manifestations of our love for one another. Rather than pondering the words of the minister, we were worrying about keeping Lily quiet and keeping the chocolate off her white dress. Rather than remembering our own wedding day, we were introducing our kids to my extended family and watching them enjoy every minute. Rather than slow dancing with each other, we were spinning with our little ones and boogieing down like fools. It was AWESOME...but different.

So we drove 9 hours to get back home yesterday. Jeff and I had a lot of time to discuss how kids at a wedding (and IN the wedding) changes our experiences quite a bit. How we had fun, but missed the mushy-gushy a bit. And then the subject changed to a million other things.

We got home and ran around outside with the kids a bit. Then they were wrestled into their own beds, and I hurried to watch last week's Survivor on the DVR. Jeff was tinkering with the computer or something...he hates my tv selections. As Survivor comes to an end, he comes into the family room and starts putting toys away...clearing the floor. Odd. Then he pops in a CD.

And asks me to dance.

Apparently while I was killing brain cells with reality tv, he was burning a CD with some of our favorite slow dance-songs from college and beyond. And even though he couldn't remember our first dance song from our own wedding (When I Fall in Love, by Nat King Cole...for future reference, Jeff)...it was incredibly sweet and thoughtful.


And so there in our family room, with the lights dimmed, surrounded by Matchbox cars and princess dolls, on a Sunday night at 9 pm...we danced. And we reminisced about our own wedding day, and remembered why we decided to join our lives together in the first place.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Awwwww...very sweet. Can't wait to see wedding pictures!

Joanne said...

That is so sweet! You got a keeper, Giselle!

Karen said...

Way to go Jeff! That was so sweet. (I know you don't know me....I'm Joanne's sister and I love your blog!)

Sarah said...

Aw... That's like something a guy in a MOVIE would do!

CARRIE said...

I think I love him too. Extremely sweet. I actually got a wee bit teary.