Monday, May 07, 2007

Baby farm

Andrew is back. In full force.

Before I start this story, let me explain something. We have a dog...we used to have 2 dogs. We gave Ginger away before moving to KY because she was mean and bit Andrew. I frequently stop Andrew from tormenting Shadow and then remind him that I don't want Shadow to get mean so we have to send her to a farm.

Okay, you are up to speed.

While he was gone this weekend, I got out a box of baby toys for Lily. Now that she is sitting up, I have a whole new bunch of things for her to play with.

Which, of course, Andrew wants for himself. He will be playing with something, and if I sit her down to watch him, he'll turn around with his back to her. Stinker. He won't share...he won't even let her play at all. It's like the moment she puts her attention on something, it becomes irresistible to him.

This is really starting already? So even though Lily could care less, I am fighting the fight for her. Teaching him to respect that she gets to play too. And all the while I'm struggling with him, I think...this is why I had two...this is why I had two...I'm teaching him the world doesn't revolve around him...

Today he had a particularly huge breakdown (in part because he's so out of whack from his big weekend). After he hoarded all the toys from Lily except for one pathetically boring plastic star, I raided HIS toys and found some for Lily to play with. He was NOT happy with me.

So I picked up his hysterically crying self and while cuddling him I explained that Lily lives with us and these are her toys too, so he has to share with her. To which he says, "Can't we give her to a farm?"

At this, we both crack up in hysterical giggles. Tantrum over.

-sigh- Only 20 more years of breaking up fights, right? I should start buying referee shirts now...

No comments: