Wednesday, May 16, 2007

King

Jeff wonders why I'm tired at the end of the day. Mentally tired. Here's an example of a car ride with Andrew. I'm not exaggerating or deleting much...just trying to write down a typical conversation in the car.

The scene: Andrew, Lily, and Giselle are going to the library for their normal Tuesday morning excursion. Thrilling, I know. Giselle takes a slight detour to hit an ATM in case she hears Burger King calling later. The bank/ATM is across the street from the athletic center, where we had soccer starters, where we haven't visited in 3 weeks.

Andrew- Mommy, I thought we were going to the library. Are we going to soccer instead?
Giselle- You remember where we played soccer? Amazing. No, we are still going to the library. I have to go to the bank real quick.
A- Why?
G- To get money.
A- Why?
G- Because I don't have any left in my wallet.
A- Why not?
G- Because Daddy stole it from me.
A- Daddy is a nasty Daddy for stealing.
G- No, it's okay. Daddy and I share money and he needed it to pay the man who cut our lawn. He's not bad, we share.
A- Not like in Robin Hood. Why does that guy always suck his thumb and say 'Ma Ma'?
G- He acts like a baby when he gets scared or upset.
A- Why?
G- I don't know. He just does.
A- He steals, right?
G- Yes. From the poor.
A- Why?
G- Because he's greedy.
A- What's greedy?
G- It means you want more of something even if you don't need it. Especially if it means you can have more than everybody else.
A- Why does he want more money?
G- Because he's greedy.
A- Why doesn't he go to jail?
G- Because he's the king, so he can take whatever he wants.
A- Why?
G- Because kings are in charge. They are supposed to be nice, but that king in Robin Hood was bad.
A- How come he's a king?
G- Because his dad was a king. That's how you get to be king...your dad has to be one.

Short pause

A- Is my dad a king?

And on and on and on we went. I thought the asking if his dad was a king was really cute, hence I decided to write it down. But the journey to get to that comment was equally amusing, so there you go. THAT'S why I'm mentally exhausted at the end of the day.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

So did you tell Andrew that Jeff was a King? Because I can imagine a month from now Andrew introducing Jeff as his dad, the king.

Tricia said...

I get a lot of the same, but the time conversations drive me nuts!!!
B: when will dinner be ready?
Me: in a little while
B: how long is a little while?
Me: in 10 minutes
B: How long is 10 minutes?
Me: 600 seconds
B: How long is 600 seconds?
Me: 10 minutes
and on and on and on, sometimes ending in a time out when it is clear he is just trying to annoy me:(

Kelsey said...

Love it! I think you should make "Conversation with Andrew" a weekly feature, or maybe its own blog.

Michelle said...

Jaxson and I have many similar conversations if it makes you feel any better! Kids are so smart! have to be on all the time. Which is why by 9 p.m. (if not earlier) we are ready to collapse!

Erin said...

Ok, I can totally see why that's exhausting, but dang it's funny.

How about you & Kels get Harper & Andrew together, and they can talk about kings and bwack goggies and remind each other why we shouldn't steal or stand on yandry baskets.

Also, please invite me because I would LOVE to witness that conversation.

Giselle said...

Okay, Erin. Dayton, OH, June 15. The meeting of the Harper and the Andrew. Think you can drag your 37 week preggo butt there?