Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Creeping towards 200...

Ever since the day I was born, I've been creeping towards 200 pounds. The process has sped up a bit since I started college. The only time I've successfully lost weight was during the first 20 weeks of both my pregnancies. Well, I don't own a scale, so I may have only known about it because my doctor was weighing me. But judging on my ever increasing pants size, I'm pretty sure I haven't lost weight. I'm not sure how close to 200 hundred I am...but I'm guessing I'm probably around 170 right now. And since my husband is quickly approaching 200 also (from the other direction), I would really hate to pass him on his trip down the scale.

So here we go again. Pregnancy is such a great guilt free time! My doctor was instructing me to gain more weight. -sigh- If only I could keep that metabolism all the time.

I know the key to me losing weight is exersize...another feat I have never successfully accomplished. But more on that in a moment...

My first step was to curb snacking. I now make myself drink a full glass of water before indulging in any snacks. Result? A lot more peeing. So I needed to make myself more accountable for what I was eating between meals.

I decided that the best way to get an idea about how much I was eating was to keep a food log. I planned on writing everything that I ate for about a week and then I could access what to cut out, etc. Food log writing started last Monday.

It was so embarrassing that I immediately started to curb my snacking. So much for writing down for a week...it shamed me into cutting out snacks right away. Here's an example...I keep a supply of fruit roll-ups in my car as ready bribes for a reluctant 3 year old. I was driving to pick up Andrew from school, and I thought, "Hmmm, maybe I'll eat a couple of fruit roll-ups while I wait for him in the car." Immediately followed by the thought, "Dear Lord, how embarrassing to have to write '4 fruit roll-ups' on my list." Because I always have one of each flavor. So bad. So little self control. So I didn't eat them, because I didn't want to face the shame of it in writing. I am quite ashamed to have even written that example down here in this blog. But rest assured...it is just one example of my out-of-control eating during the day.

Now that I have a week written down I've conquered snacking...for the most part. Writing it down has really helped. I'm not even more hungry...how sad is that? Next step...EXERSIZE.

I have a million excuses. It just doesn't get done. -sigh- If only making an exersize log was a motivating as a food log. I really need an exersize buddy...someone to hold me accountable...like a walking buddy or a biking buddy. See, another excuse. How hard is it, really, to just go walk for a half hour a day?

Boy, this is a boring post. Lack of sugar must make me boring. I can't even think of a creative synonym for boring so you don't have to keep reading the same boring word in this most boring of boring posts.

2 comments:

Kate said...

My favorite weight loss link:
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/loseweight/loseweight.html#para1

And you can see how that's working out for me.

HawleyFamily said...

I miss being your walking buddy! :(