Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Too bad police

Around Easter time, Andrew debuted his "Too bad" comment. As in, "Andrew, I need you to clean up that toy." "Too bad, Mom." Yes, charming.

Now I have the opposite type of monster on my hands. I may have talked to him too much about the evils of the phrase "Too bad". Because, see, it's not always bad. Sometimes it is said nicely, as in, "It's too bad we didn't bring Shadow to the park today."

Andrew is still learning the difference. So every time we say/hear the phrase "too bad", Andrew points it out and we must dissect the usage and decide if it is okay.

He is also the police for the words "stupid" and "shut up". He will announce loudly if someone says one of these phrases. Loudly.

And sometimes he says them on purpose just to see what my reaction will be. Because he's 3.

Oh, and he polices the crosswalks (as in: Mommy, the hand is showing. That man should not be walking across the street) and the streets (as in: Mommy, that car is going too fast. Where is the policeman to catch him).

For the record...it's tough to teach your child rules when every other person is breaking them. What IS the point of the crosswalk signs if half the people disregard them?

Boy, this is really rambling today. I've got to stretch my blogging muscle. Bear with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry...we were at a friend's house for Memorial Day. A nice guy sat down beside me and Megan to eat. Meg took one look at him and said, "You better not chew with your mouth open. That's not polite." The poor guy probably wanted to run away, but he had a nice little chat with Megan instead. Oh, and he ate politely!