Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Belly dancing

If you are not on Facebook, you may not realize that I signed up for a FOURTEEN WEEK belly dancing class that started last night. Life is all about collecting stories, people. Anyway, I realized during class last night that I entered it with many misconceptions:

Misconception #1: I thought this class would be filled with Hi-larious people in full make-up and jingly skirts and fake boobs.

Reality: It is a beginner class, so everyone was wearing sweatpants like me...was overweight like me...was hopeless...like me.

Misconception #2: I assumed this was an exercise class using belly dancing as it's core.

Reality: Oh, no, people...this is a DANCE class. With a recital. Over. my. dead. body.

Misconception #3: My abs would be very sore at the end of class the first day.

Reality: Dear. God. My quads are on fire today. And my rib cage. And my arms. And my calves. My calves were literally shaking with fatigue by the end of class. Apparently, your hips just "ride"...all their motion is from other body movements. And you are in a partial squat the whole time...hence the leg fatigue. I was pathetic.

Misconception #4: I was doing this for the opportunity to hang out with my friend (who needed someone to go with her so she wouldn't be alone) and to get some stories (as I mentioned above).

Reality: It felt AMAZING to do something totally for myself. I didn't think about my kids EVEN ONCE. I think I now understand Jeff's obsession with fencing. Doing something totally new and challenging takes you away from your regular life for a brief moment in time. I was so busy concentrating on moving my hips in a figure eight, and how do I shift my ribcage side-to-side without moving my shoulders? and crap! I missed the four-point-turn again and laughing and getting frustrated...that I didn't have any time left to worry about the dishes piling up or Lily throwing up yesterday or whatever. I have always taken my time off to go out to dinner with friends or get my haircut or whatever. But I am always talking and thinking about my regular life. THIS...THIS was a totally refreshing evening out. I was frustrated as HELL...but it was a true mental release from my everyday life.

So...in summary. I SUCK at belly dancing. But I think I'm going to really really enjoy this class as my weekly escape from reality. I think I have accidentally found a way to NOT be a mommy for a short period of time. Lovely.

5 comments:

d e v a n said...

awesome! enjoy!

Michelle said...

FUN!!! A recital too, huh?

Astarte said...

A *recital*?!?! Hahahahahaha!!!!! Don't forget the camcorder!

Seriously, though, that sounds great. I took a bellydancing class, and it was so awful I stopped after a couple of weeks. The woman that taught it was super-serious about it, and everyone was required to wear jingly things and reveal their abs all the time, and... oh, no. It was terrible. The only thing undulating was my ab fat.

Carissa said...

My step-mom is a belly dance instructor and got into about 7 years ago. I hope it goes well. If you like it, you should check out the book (Ha! I know, who has time to read!) Snake Hips by Anne Thomas Soffee. Good luck and shimmy on!

Joanne said...

Holy crap! A recital and everything?! I sincerely hope they talk you into it!!!