Friday, February 27, 2009

Small gestures

I WAS going to sit down and write a post about the difficulties of having 3 children. I don't find it difficult MOST of the time, or even MUCH of the time, but definitely SOME of the time. Yesterday afternoon, all 3 kids got sick at the same time. And I felt pulled in 3 different directions and was basically insufficient for any of them.

BUT, I am not going to write about that after all. Which is probably a good thing, because just writing that first paragraph makes me realize how obvious the concept is. So...there...you're spared. ;)

Instead, I'm going to tell you a little story about how wonderful it is to married to someone that really and truly loves you. ;) Hey...I can here you gagging over there. Shut it!

Tonight is Jeff's fencing night, aka "Giselle Catches up on her DVR-night". I don't mind Friday night fencing, because Jeff doesn't have to leave until 2/3 children are in bed. And some night all 3 are in bed. So...score. Tonight, all 3 children were on their way to dreamland and Jeff gave me a peck on the lips and was off. I started making bottles and cleaning up the kitchen in preparation for CSI/Survivor/Lost marathon. The running water inevitably made me need to go to the bathroom (YES, this is leading somewhere...stay with me). I open the door to our downstairs half bathroom and find resistance. Groaning, I reach down to move the offending toy. But instead I find Jeff's pajamas and bedtime needs in a pile behind the door.

That's RIGHT. Even though tomorrow I get to traipse off and make meals while he schleps to swim class with all 3 kids in tow...he still didn't want to disturb me when he comes home tonight after fencing. Had the situation been reversed, I would have been all self-righteous and bitter and resentful ('Well, HE gets the morning off...so why does HE need good sleep...etc etc.) (Actually this is becoming a post about why it ISN'T good to be married to me...). Anyhoo...

And THAT...right there...that is what it feels like to be really and truly loved. That he thinks of me and my comfort first and foremost. And THAT, my friends, is why I married this man. Pajamas behind the door of the half bath.

3 comments:

d e v a n said...

Aww, that's sweet!

bluedaisy said...

This is such an awesome post and yes, you definitely married a great guy. Isn't it so nice to realize you are still in love-- even in midst of kid-caused chaos :)

Kelsey said...

Sigh. Jeff is SUCH a good guy!