Thursday, February 12, 2009

The sissification of football

Okay, so "sissification" isn't actually a word. My blog...my version of English.

Yesterday Lily asked to play with Andrew's little bin of football players (best toy EVER, by the way...at least if your kid eats, sleeps, and breathes football). I was slightly disappointed, because I feel like I'm losing the battle with my kids. The battle to NOT like sports. Lily is already doing a 3 point stance and yelling hike and the tackling...oh how she loves to tackle. -sigh- So I was sure when she dragged out the football players that I should just resign myself to the fact that she too will be obsessed with football. She made me lay out the felt football field and she eagerly set the players out on the field. I went into the kitchen to make dinner. And I eavesdrop on her playing.

"Oh, no. Do you want bird-day cake? Happy bird-day happy bird-day (singing). Oh, no. You are in time-out. Wanna play castle? You go home, no wanna play wid you." And on and on. Oh, yes. My little girl is playing HOUSE with the football players. Andrew Would. Have. Died. had he been around to witness what his football players do on the off hours. (and I secretly breathed a sigh of relief...a woman can only stand so much football in one household).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another Lily story... We were discussing who is a boy and who is a girl. Lily told me that Andrew is a "boy" and Lily is a "girl" and Michael is a "boy" and Mommy is a "girl". But when I asked what Daddy is...Lily looked confused and said, "Daddy is at work!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also funny today...I saw a commercial for Nighttime Triaminic. The mother hops out of bed at the sound of her child. She says to her husband (who is also awake...as if), "I'll get this one, honey." The announcer says, "Mom knows just what to do to help her sick child." And the mom gives her kid the medicine and the child falls peacefully back to sleep. And in small print at the bottom of the screen it says, "do not use for the purpose of making your child sleepy." Ha ha ha...what a great idea...oops...I mean...what terrible parents would ever think to do that?

5 comments:

d e v a n said...

haha! Good stories.

HawleyFamily said...

I would NEVER give my children medicine when they are perfectly fine just to make them sleep...especially not when i am 7 months pregnant and we are all traveling on a red eye to New York...NEVER!! :)

bluedaisy said...

Love the stories! As for the Triaminic...let's just say that it's good there isn't any of that in our house-it would have been used up (probably by me) after the whole lotion incident last night!

Swistle said...

Your description of the commercial (especially the "as if") made me laugh literally audibly.

Leiandra said...

You mean... I can use it to put the kids to sleep? I mean... you know... not that I ever would, but... Well...

Or a better question: at what point does it become more "legal"? Can I give it to Kylie when she just won't stop complaining about all her "sicknesses"?