Thursday, February 05, 2009

Pin-cess

Lily got a Fisher-Price castle for Christmas, which came with 2 princesses and 2 princes. Lily LOVES it...except they are "pin-cess" and "king"...no princes for her. Since she has been showing more of an interest in this, I dragged out our copy of The Little Mermaid, that Andrew rejected years ago. She has never watched a "girl" movie before...everything she knows and loves are Cars and Wall-E and Toy Story. Fine with me, but why should I deprive her of the girlie stuff just because she came after Mr. All-boy-football-star?

Well, she LOVES Ariel and The Little Mermaid. I rented Cinderella from the library. She was MESMERISED. (I know, what am I DOING?). At Target this week, they had these little headband/crowns for $1...so I got one for Lily. I gave it to her last night and she was so excited to wear it. And, bonus, when Andrew grabs it from her, I simply say, "Now, Lily, Andrew gets a turn at being a princess to." and it immediately gets handed back as if it were a hot coal in his hands.

Anyhoo...this morning Lily asked me to put on her crown. I said, "Oh! Are you Princess Lily?"

And my Tiger-Lily says defiantly, "NO! Yiddy no pin-cess! Yiddy is KING!"

Atta-girl...

6 comments:

Kelsey said...

Harper likes ALL the Disney movies she's ever seen, maybe Lily will be the same. We never had a Fisher Price castle, but it would have gone over well.

I love that Lily wanted to be the king! When she's a little older you'll have to read her The Paper Bag Princess - a nice alternative to the pink and glittery princess stories.

Annie said...

She should meet our niece, Elizaneth. She turns 4 next week and HATES going to princess birthday parties. She wants to be Spiderman. My sister-in-law found a book called "The Princess Knight" which is about a girl raised in a family of all boys and taught to joust and other knightly things...Tough girls are cool AND pretty.

Annie said...

that's "Elizabeth", not "Elizaneth". My hands are a little shaky, must be low blood sugar...better check to see if my brownies are cooled yet. :)

Astarte said...

All hail King Lily!!

bluedaisy said...

You know, I firmly believe that kids need to learn stereotyped gender roles so that they can rebel against them as angst-ridden teenagers. We have a ton of "boy" stuff but if my boys get their hands on a kitchen set or a baby doll- they LOVE it. Since starting daycare, Michael has learned about "pincesses" and that is what he calls himself when wrapped up in his togo-towel after a bath. Maybe he can meet up with King Lily one day!

Andrea said...

YEs Rachel loves the Pin-cesses as well!
yay to King Lily!!!