Saturday, August 18, 2012

Quotables

Andrew and I are reading Harry Potter (the first) at night.  He wouldn't read it for the longest time, because the movie trailers scare the bejeezus out of him, and he assumed the books would be the same.  I literally forced him to sit down and read it with me.  He loves it.  It is really fun.

Thursday night, after finishing our chapter, we went to the internet and looked up one of those quizzes that will tell you which Hogwart's house you would get sorted into.  Andrew got Ravenclaw.  He was THRILLED after reading the description of Ravenclaw.

Friday night, we read a section that made a joke about Hermione's parents both being dentists.  He stopped the reading and said, "Wait.  Both her parents are Muggles?  So how did she know...?  How did she get into...? Can people really...?"  As I saw the hope brimming in his eyes, I had to let him down..."Remember, Andrew...this is just fiction."   He had a brief vision of going to Hogwarts himself someday.  Man, I love these books...they just draw you in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily is not nervous about starting Kindergarten.  At all.  Yet I persist in trying to make her feel reassured about something that she needs no reassurance with.  She shut me down with her 5 year old wisdom the other day:

Me:  "Isn't it exciting that you will know a few people in your class?  They won't all be strangers on the first day."

Lily: (shrugging as she continues coloring) "It's okay, Mom.  On the second day there won't be any strangers."

What a good attitude.  This girl is going places, I tell you.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week was tough on Michael.  When we went on the computer to check teachers, there was a lot of fist pumping and hollaring and excited cheering as we found out Andrew and Lily's teachers.  Then for several days following there was more shrieking and excited talk as we found out which friends were in their classes.  We knew nothing about poor Michael's teacher or Michael's school.  He asked me over and over who his teacher was and what supplies he was supposed to bring.  (This is a little preview of how left out he's going to feel when Lily and Andrew go off to college and he has to stay home to complete his senior year.)

Yesterday we got a letter from his pre-school.  I called him over as I opened the envelope and I told him, "Michael!  Your teacher's name is Mrs. H."

And Michael pumped his fist and shouted, "YES!  YEEEEES!  THAT'S WHO I WANTED!!!  ANDREW!  I GOT WHO I WANTED!"


Which is really funny, since we have never been in this school, and there is only one teacher to get.  :)  Just wants to be one of the big kids.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

What sweethearts your children (my grandchildren)are! So glad you are blogging all of their great quotes. We can enjoy reading them over and over. They will love you for it someday too :)

bluedaisy said...

Love these little glimpses of each of your children. And if I were you, I'd bottle Lily's positive attitude and charge SERIOUS money for it :)