Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Olympic Fever

Last week, my friend Elizabeth came over and was talking about how excited they were about the Olympics.  And they were going to make a cake and everything to celebrate the opening ceremonies.

So I did what I do...I stole her idea.

We also tried to think of an English dinner to have...so we had fish and chips.  And sweet corn.  Not English, but the farm next to our neighborhood has really good corn right now...so that's that.



Andrew has been staying up until 9 trying to watch all he can and then he watches the taped show the following morning.  He begged to go to McDonald's to get one of their promotional "you win if the Americans win this event" things.  He thought he had a really good chance (his ticket was for Men's 200 Butterfly)...and then collapsed and groaned when Phelps lost by .05 seconds or whatever.

Lily is convinced that she looks just like those gymnasts when she is in gymnastics.  My daughter, who cannot even jump on the trampoline without falling, watches the twists and spins and perfect landings and confidently says, "Oh!  That's what I do in gymnastics!"  It will be a sad day when reality hits her.  ;)

Michael is uninterested.  He is not much of a sports guy.  But I did catch him trying out a floor routine after we watched the women's team win gold.  He got embarrassed when I caught him.

Jeff is really really into it.  He is frustrated that he is forced to go to work during the Olympic weeks and that he is too tired to stay up and watch every night.  Also?  Fencing is not being televised much...and isn't even appearing in our On Demand feature.  Judo is.  Judo.  Which I watched because I didn't know what it is.  And I'm pretty sure that the name was originally, "Wrestling like 7 year old boys", but that was too long to write on the programs.

I actually really like the Olympics too.  Even though I don't generally enjoy team sports, I am amazed and awed by these athletes.  It is exciting to cheer them on and watch them perform incredible physical feats.  I could do with a little less of "Parent Watch 2012", however.  How am I supposed to stay hydrated if I am constantly crying?  Also?  Running has gone much better this week...how exactly can I complain after watching these people.  When the running events start, I'm sure depressed and defeat will settle in.  :)

No comments: