Saturday, August 11, 2012

Time to move to Massachusetts?

Last night, the kids were telling Jeff about playing the game Life on the Wii.  One of their favorite parts is getting married and having kids.  They like to name all of their imaginary family members.

Lily was married to Ben and they had one little boy named Bobby.

Andrew was married to Amy and they had 2 girls, Madison and Sophia, and 1 boy, Jake.

Michael was married to Jonah and had 5 kids with names like Baby Tiny Bobo and Baby Tiny Kookoo.

And you heard that correctly...Michael and Jonah.  I'm pretty sure the kids think the name Jonah is a girl's name, despite the Bible story.  The men in our picture Bible have long hair, so?

The kids left the dinner table to go and play.  Jeff and I lingered to discuss our weird children.  I was laughing with Jeff that if Michael is going to marry Jonah, we'd better figure out a way to not invite my dad.  Jeff mentioned that they must have a very kind surrogate to have had 5 kids.  I mentioned that I hoped Michael spouse had some naming veto power, unlike Jonah apparently.

And then Michael ran through the room with a pink cowgirl hat on, riding a unicorn.

We looked at each other and said that perhaps we really should start preparing my father.

And then Michael started making shooting noises, body slammed the unicorn to the ground, and fought Andrew for the brown horse head instead.

Maybe we'll just have to wait and see like everyone else if it is Michael and Jonah or Michael and Joanie someday.  I really don't care which...but I really really hope my grandchild isn't named Baby Tiny Doo-doo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really do admire you for feeling that way, not caring either way. Wish I could aspire to being so open-minded about that issue. Hopefully I'll get there!

bluedaisy said...

Incidentally, Delaware works too (my bro-in-law is getting married-civil union- in November!!

I try not to overthink this stuff because ultimately, I am going to love and support my children even if their futures hold different things than what I currently envision. And that would probably be the hardest part for me, if one my kids is gay. The resolution of my "traditional" ideas with the reality of what will truly make them happy.

This parenting stuff is not for the weak!!

Andrea said...

For the longest time Ryan was going to have 2 children named Gary and Flower. Apparently his wife was either a hippie or had no say in the naming of children LOL! He was also going to call his wife mommy so there is that....
Everyone in my family makes "remarks" about Ryan growing up gay because he loves musical theater and prefers tap classes to football (oh and enjoys decorating adn throwing parties) and my standard response is that it would be fantastic because when I am old and senile he'll make sure I look fabulous! Seriously I think he's just going to make someone a fantastic husband (woman OR man- I don't care)

CARRIE said...

The best part of all? Michael totally doesn't care....he's just having fun!!