Thursday, July 19, 2007

Awry

Is Awry a word? I think so. It is how my day went today.

I made a list. I'm a big list-maker...a much bigger list-maker than list-doer. So I made a list of what we could do today. We've been desperately bored the last few days, and I was determined to DO something with my children.

Item #1: Raspberry picking. There is a farm right down the street with a store full of little pints of raspberries...or you can pick them yourself. So I drive to the field and park on the edge of the road, strap Lily to my chest (God Bless Bjorn), and get Andrew out. He is already unnerved by the long weeds he has to walk through. Uh, hello? Been in our yard lately? He should be used to walking through long weeds, for heavens sake. Anyhoo, there were already about 10 guys out there picking...you know, to stock the little store for the pansies that don't want to experience nature and pick their own fruit. Problem is...it was about 8:30 when Andrew and I arrived, and these guys had probably been picking for 2 hours already. So it was pretty hard to find a berry left behind. Couple that with the thorns (when we picked strawberries, we didn't have this problem) and Andrew was out. Until I allowed him to sample a berry off the vine. Then he was willing to pick them...but they were immediately popped into his mouth. He WOULD NOT put them in the basket. I decided that we'd had enough of picking, envisioning one of the workers yelling, "Hey, lady! This ain't no breakfast buffet!" (say with thick Philly accent). I loaded kids up in car and drove directly to the store and bought 2 pints of raspberries. Pansy.

Item #2: Lily nap. Hooray! I accomplished something on my list! Andrew and I re-read his library books (which are actually quite good this week), played a game (there was no throwing of pieces either!), and played Gladiator (I've got to publish pictures of him in this costume...too cute).

Item #3: Go to mall to pick up Lily's pictures. I was sooooo ready for this. I packed us a lunch so we could save money and be healthy and then spend money on icecream or water ice or whatever little treat we wanted. I had Andrew all psyched to run around. I had double stroller packed. Halfway there, I realize that I left the packed lunch behind. Bummer. But at least we are going to the mall...we'll just have to buy lunch. Get to the mall and notice lots of mall cops congregating outside one of the entrances. Hmmm. Unload the children into stroller. As I start walking towards it, a woman informs me that the entire mall is shut down due to a gas leak. You can only get into Sears or Macy's. Don't need to go to those stores. Go to Burger King instead. Check back after lunch to see if I can get the pictures from JC Penney yet. Firetrucks and ambulances surrounding JC Penney. Yikes. Not meant to be.

All other items are banking on us having spent a few hours in the mall. List is almost obliterated. Except for this really cool children's concert in the park at 7 pm tonight. So excited to take Andrew...get him excited...he takes nap in anticipation of staying up later.

Rains out.

-sigh- Sometimes despite my best efforts...

On a postive, Andrew was able to stay awake to catch fireflies because of his nap. It was lovely. All these plans and he was thrilled to catch these tiny flickering little beetles. He'll probably remember that longer than some dumb concert. ;)

No comments: