Friday, July 06, 2007

First crush

Andrew is seriously crushing. But I have a few problems with the object of his affection. For one thing, she's older than him. Like a generation older. Another problem is this girl is dating his uncle. That could cause some family tension down the line. Can you imagine the family reunions?

Yes, Andrew has a crush on Monica, Uncle Chad's girlfriend. It was love at first sight...he has a thing for long hair. I thought the crush would die once it became long distance, but Andrew has yet to let it go.

First, there was the visit to Grandma's work in Ohio. Andrew was in a funky mood, but Grandma really needed to stop in and fax something (plus it was a great opportunity to show off her grandkids...she's always looking for excuses to do that). Anyway, Andrew was sulking while I fed Lily. Grandma said, "Do you want to go meet Monica?" Andrew's face LIT UP. More than for Santa. He was so excited that Monica was in the next room. Imagine his surprise and disappointment when he discovered that Grandma's middle-aged assistant is also named Monica. Not quite the woman he was hoping for.

Then, we were driving somewhere here in PA, and Andrew was once again talking about marriage. Keep in mind that this is more than a month since we were in Texas. He is still trying to get his head wrapped around that concept. And for the record, we don't talk about Monica. No offense to Monica, of course, but most conversations in our house are about cleaning up toys, which Matchbox car is going to win the race, and how many bites he needs to eat to get dessert. So him mentioning Monica is driven purely by him. Anyway, the conversation in the car went something like this:

Andrew- Mom, I want to marry Lily when I grow up.
Giselle- You don't have to marry Lily. You get married to make someone part of your family, and Lily already is part of your family. So you don't have to.
A- Who should I marry then?
G- You have a lot of time to decide. You can't get married until you are 18, and that's a long way away.
A- How long?
G- Well you'll be 4 this year. Then 5 next year. Then 6, then 7, and on and on until you are 18.
**long pause** (these are always dangerous. Humdingers come after long pauses)
A- I know who I'm going to marry.
G- Really? Who?
A- Monica.
G- Why do you want to marry Monica?
A- Because she talks so beautiful.

I kid you not, those were his exact words. How cute is that? I'd tell Chad to watch out except a few days later we had this conversation.

A- Mom, I'm going to marry Monica, did you know that?
G- Yes, you mentioned that.
A- I'm not going to marry her until I'm 80, though.
G- Well, I hope that works out. Monica will be about 100 when you are 80.
A- Huh?

So Monica is going to have to wait a while for a proposal from my boy. He's apparently happy with just a long distance crush for now. Just as long as she doesn't break his heart...

No comments: