Monday, July 16, 2007

No nap doldrums

Andrew isn't sleeping. He's doing fine. I'm going crazy.

Does it mean I shouldn't be a parent if I NEED a break from him during the day? Summer is boring...too hot to do much, no scheduled activities. I NEED an hour break from the kids. But Andrew is staying up late, waking up early, and not napping. I feel like my sister Kate, for heaven's sake.

So the not going to bed at night was really bad. So I decided that we were watching too much tv, and taking too much rest time during the day. We've just cut those out. And I want to cry.

He IS going to bed much better since the change. And he really acts fine without the nap/rest time. It's me that needs it. It's me that is grouchy at the end of the day now. It's me that's breaking down into tantrums several times a day.

So I'm basically forced to choose if I want my evenings child-free or my afternoons. And now I've got to think of lots more to do with Andrew during the day...or else I will go INSANE.

1 comment:

CARRIE said...

If there is something wrong with you for needing a break then there is something wrong with me too (of course, you knew there was something wrong with me).

As far as I'm concerned, you are perfectly normal because that is how I feel when N doesn't take a nap. By 6:00 pm, I am ready to clock out, even if she has been wonderful and not a bit grouchy.

Of course, if I spent day after day with ANYONE (D, my mom, best friend, etc), from sun-up to sundown, without so much as a pee break by myself, having to watch shows I don't want to watch, play games that don't interest me, and tolerate silly behaviors or discipline my companion, I would be just as bonkers and desperate for quiet, alone, non-companion time.

I don't think it makes you a bad mom or that you don't like your kid. I personally can't handle that much togetherness with anyone without getting snippy.