Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Frantic babyproofing

HOLY CRAP! Michael is mobile and getting into stuff. Dangerous older sibling stuff. Like little crayon pieces and dollhouse accessories and paper...my God the paper! Today we were all playing in the computer room, and I turn and Michael has gotten into the Christmas books...trying to pull down the whole stack of them onto his head.

CRAP.

I start moving the books to a crate I happen to have extra upstairs. And as I put them in the crate, I begin looking around. Dear. God. I need to baby proof. There are binoculars (with small plastic beads on the strap) and play food that is a bit too small, chalk that has been thrown from the easel, a stray football helmet, a paper clip, a penny, some football cards, Playmobile pieces....

I'm starting to hyperventilate.

Over here there is a wire from the lamp and a folding chair precariously leaning against the wall and a big clump of carpet fuzz and oh heavens the Christmas tree...with branches temptingly hanging down enticing an 8 month old to just roll right under them and pull.

Take a deep breath. Take a deep breath. Just breathe.

All 3rd children survive their older siblings, right? How about a cluttered mother?

Why does this happen so fast???

4 comments:

d e v a n said...

Yes, he'll survive! It gets so much harder to babyproof when the older kids have little things that can be eaten!

Emily said...

These last 2 posts? I'm right there with you! Screaming and unrealistic 2 year old, along with the just-getting-to-be-mobile 8 month old who is starting to find crayon pieces and puzzle pieces every 5 seconds. My husband found a sticker in his diaper the other day - so I guess he can swallow a sticker and be ok?

Andrea said...

The 3rd kid, by nature, is a tough cookie! Ryan never EVER ate crayons, Rachel may hvae nibbled them, but Joey? 2-3 a day - easily! and he is fine.....
Kidding, kind of, about the crayons.
It is interesting to see him play with things that the others didnt get into until they were much older

Andrea said...

Man I love how your blog highlights the real nature of some of the things I learn in class! I swear the girls in my class should read it! --There was some test question or homework question... talking about some high rate of foreign objects that can be found in children... I remember thinking it made perfect sense how high that number was. :)