Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Oh, yea...I have a blog...

So, um, I've been a bit MIA. Not for too long, but after November it feels like forever. I've had ideas for blogs, but just haven't sat down and wrote them out. Here are some highlights...

Michael is changing so fast all of a sudden. Getting all geared up for the 9month development explosion that both my other kids went through. He has decided that napping is overrated, and we are struggling with that again. Yesterday he took a 20 minute nap in the car. That was it. Honestly...I can't handle that. He suddenly has two teeth, is rolling around getting into trouble, and is pulling himself almost to standing when he is in a sitting position. He was rolling around yesterday and actually started trying to scoot himself forward to get something he wanted. So crawling should be coming quite soon. My biggest pleasant surprise in all this is how well Lily is dealing with it so far. She has handled this new mobile threat on her toys with amazing grace. Only once so far has she run and snatched something out of his hands...forcing me to give it back to him. He even loves to tear down her dollhouse (one of her most prized possessions) and chew on it and the people inside (they are big and wooden...no choking worries there, thank heavens). She at first got a big shocked look on her face, but now she just laughs with Andrew and I at Michael's antics. We usually just incorporate him into our game, "Ahhh, a huge slobbery dinosaur is attacking Baby!" I still am anxiously waiting for her to tackle him like she does Andrew, but so far she seems to understand that he's too little. And once this weekend she was playing with her mini animals and playdoh. She picked up one of the animals and said, "No for Muckal. Tooo small." Good girl!

Oh, that Lily. She's changing a ton too. She's very into big and small right now (this hat is too big for Michael, this sock is too small for mommy, etc). She wants to do everything herself and when she accomplishes a large feat, like pulling her play stroller up the step between kitchen and family room, she cheers loudly, "I did it!" And we cheer with her. She makes up silly songs about things around her, making us laugh all the while. She plays with her baby doll a lot lately, feeding it while I feed Michael. It is so cute to watch her wipe the doll's face off with the bib like I do with Michael. Yesterday I was feeding him some peas and she went and got a bowl, spoon, and a big old play cornonthecob. She said, "Mommy baby eat peas. Me baby eat corn. Yum! Mommy baby yike it?" Oh, yes, the I like it. If a song comes on that she likes, she will chant, "Mommy, I YIKE dis one." over and over until I respond. Or heaven forbid something she doesn't want, all we hear is "Don't yike dis one. Don't yike it!" Oh, and she loves to scream at the top of her lungs, "NO THANKS!" It is hardly ever just no...she always says no thanks. Which is cute and annoying all at the same time. And she is still unpleasantly psycho. Yesterday she had a huge fit because she wanted, "MILK! MOMMY MILK PLEEEEEEEASE." This whole fit happened while she had a cup of milk sitting in front of her. Maybe it was in an offending cup? Perhaps I placed it in the wrong spot on the table? Later in the day she was really excited to have a "And-itch" (sandwich) for lunch. When she sat down and saw that I had dared to put 3 blueberries on the plate with her sandwich, she threw a monster tantrum and refused to eat ANYTHING. On the floor twitching and thrashing because of 3 blueberries that weren't even touching her sandwich. All I could do was think ???? huh????

I went to the doctor finally! It took about 3 weeks to get my insurance to change my primary care physician number and then to get an appointment. I really really like the doctor and nurses. They even laughed at my lame jokes...bonus points for that. Here's one of them...I had to get my weight and height measured. After getting my weight, the nurse asked me to turn around so she could do the height. She was getting a stool so she could reach over my head and she said, "Wow, you're tall." To which I said...wait for it..."Is that an official measurement?" Oh, I can hear your peals of laughter now. Yes, the practice gets major points for putting up with me. Since the headache was now a full month ago, they found me perfectly healthy...and I was reminded why I don't go to doctors...my left ear has had pain and congestion off and on since I was pregnant with Lily, and it was quite painful the day of the appointment, so I asked the doctor to look at it. Nothing wrong...not even red. Of course. Whenever I have actual problems, there is nothing wrong. Whatever. Doctor wants me to get an MRI and MRA to be safe (and I didn't even have to mention you, Bill!) and she ordered some bloodwork since I've never had my cholesterol checked or anything. I had the bloodwork today, and I'm having problems making an appointment with radiology. The person answering the phone has put me on hold two separate times and never gotten back on the line. -sigh- I just don't have 30 minutes to wait on hold. But whatever.

What else? Oh, there was a totally annoying family at the park this weekend. Which is really rude, but they were really annoying. It was a mother and a father and their little girl (who looked about Lily's age, and I later found out was just under 2). The mother never was more than one step behind this girl. I was irritated for this child. I understand up on the equipment being one step behind. I was like that with my first child. No I wasn't. But I could have and should have been. But even while walking on the nice recycled cushy tire surface the mother was right behind her. She was NOT a new walker. And the parents were terrified this little girl would play with my kids. Just because they were roaring like lions or something. Whatever. But the most annoying thing? They all 3 had matching coats. Same brand, same design, make me gag. Apologies to my readers with matchy-matchy family coats. I think it is lame. I understand same brand...if you find a coat you like, everyone wants it. But same color? Same thread pattern? Really?

Posts to come...how I've been feeling like Igor more and more, (Yes, Maaaasta...shuffle shuffle) and how I think my persona is more like a sheepdog than a human when I take the children in public (nipping at the heels, barking at them to stay together, running in circles).

3 comments:

bluedaisy said...

I think that Lily and my Michael sound eerily similar. I yike it/don't yike it. And Michael says "No thanks" too. One thing I have been doing when the big fit comes because of 3 blueberries or the wind blowing or whatever--I tell him "oh well" and just move on. Or I say "Either eat that or eat NOTHING"-I know, I am an ogre-but I don't yell or even sound mean, I just put it out there. It's effective about 40% of the time- better than nothing? Oh and GO MICHAEL with his movin' and groovin'...I love watching little ones learn but why do they have to grow up so fast?

Astarte said...

I'm glad your ear thing turned out to be nothing, sort of. I mean, I'm glad you're not sick, but it IS a pain in the ass to hear that whatever pain you're having isn't something that other people can see or name.

Your park story made me smile. If I were you, I wouldn't have wanted THEIR obviously freakish family to play with MY kids!!! Freak may rub off or something!

MamaK said...

Sheepdog personality! Very awesome, not-lame-at-all, imagery! And so freakin' true!