Wednesday, December 31, 2008

So long, 2008!

Ah, New Year's Eve. A wonderful holiday, where you dress up in your finest formal clothes, go to a party on the top floor of a skyscraper with a beautiful view, and drink and eat caviar until the ball drops and everyone gets to kiss a handsome stranger and then you dance and sing together to welcome the new year.

Uh, yea. Right. Now, to be fair, I've never had a New Year's quite like in the movies, but now that there are children involved? 3 children? Okay, to be fair, Michael's not to blame. We got lame when we had just one child.

No, New Year's is not a spectacular holiday over here. My kids still go to bed at the regular time, because Lord knows they'll wake up at the regular time (6:30 on the nose...you KNOW he's up before that though) and Michael will still demand to be fed sometime between 3 and 4 in the morning. (as if that is the "morning"...whoever named that time of day had obviously never been awake during it). We thought we were going to our town's New Year's festival for families, but it doesn't even START until 5. Michael goes to bed at 6. And it is $15 per person. Shelf that sucker for when the kids are a little older, I think.

So all New Year's ends up being is a regular old day that Jeff gets to spend with us. And I get to look back wistfully at the year gone past. So since you have subjected yourself to this rambling journal of sorts, you too get to look back. Lucky you.

Let's first look at last year's resolution:

This year, I am resolving to stay out of the loony bin. My goal this year is to survive until next year. I know this seems melodramatic. And I know that I could have it much harder (a hubby who travels, twins, terminal illness, etc.). I know this logically. And I also know I am being hugely pessimistic about bringing a 3rd child into the mix this soon after Lily's birth. But I like being pessimistic. I can only be pleasantly surprised, right? I'm especially worried about the summer. But more on that later...aren't you excited? So, 2008=No commitment to insane asylum!On a big positive note, I have done a 180 degree turn in thinking about this child as an individual. I am SOOOOOOO excited to meet him. I realize this makes no sense when combined with the paragraph above. To try and clarify, I am terrified of juggling 3 children and all that comes with that. I am thrilled to get to know this new little person growing inside of me. Confused? Me too. It defies all logic, but my Mama-bear instinct has fully kicked in, and I WANT this baby. He is MINE. He kicks me all the time, and I'm starting to be able to feel body parts when I push and probe my belly. I'm just glad that he's there. It's not what I planned, but I'm finally very happy that he's here.

I am proud to say that I spent not a single day in an asylum. It was hard, don't get me wrong.
You know, when I was getting 3-4 hours of non-consecutive sleep and then having to take care of a baby and 2 other children while Jeff was at work. Yea, I was really sad we live so far from family then. And learning to juggle 3 kids was tough...especially when #3 would NOT BE PUT DOWN EVEN FOR A MINUTE WITHOUT SCREAMING. Those were days I was wishing for a padded cell by the end of the day. But I did it! I really did it! And not to be sounding egotistical, but I think we're doing a pretty darn good job at it here at the end of the year. All 3 of my babies are thriving and healthy and happy. Well, Lily isn't happy most of the time, but I think that is a personal problem...not necessarily the parenting. ;)

Jeff's job was safe and secure for 2008 (we're crossing our fingers for 2009), we had good health (that scary headache? MRI came back all good...so must have been a fluke), and we've been happier than ever. More tired than ever, but happier. More content. Enjoying life.

So, thanks 2008! You were ten times better than I ever imagined. Tomorrow I'll work on my resolutions for 2009...

2 comments:

Mary O said...

Oh, I only WISH for a fancy New Year's Eve with champagne and caviar!
Happy 2009!

Kelsey said...

I'm not sure I'd even like a fancy new year. I think I got that all sorted out when the 101 girls went out as the year turned 2000. Now I'm just happy if Matt's awake at midnight.

Thanks for reminding us about what you wrote last year - I'd say you are doing an excellent job!