Thursday, January 01, 2009

Welcome, 2009!

Last night was fun. But perhaps my son is not quite ready for New Year's humor yet. There is a lame joke that my dad milks for all it is worth every year. "I'm starving. I haven't eaten since last year." "Gosh, it's good to get dressed. I've been in my pjs since last year." Etc. etc. So to continue the tradition of driving your offspring crazy by being ridiculous and predictable, I hugged Andrew as he was going upstairs with Jeff for bed. And I said, "I'm so sad. I'm not going to see you until next year." Andrew's eyes welled up and he hugged me really hard. "Why not, Mom? Are you going back to work?" I quickly backpedaled (why does he think that if I went back to work he wouldn't see me?), and Jeff explained the concept of the New Year's joke as he got him ready for bed. I felt a little bad until he came downstairs this morning telling the New Year's joke himself...over and over with a silly voice and a little smirk on his face. "Mom, I really need a vitamin. I haven't had one since last year!" Mission accomplished. Another generation of lame jokesters.

And a funny story of Lily...this morning she was heading down into the basement to play. Jeff was holding her hand as she maneuvered the scary steps. Andrew pushed past her to get down the steps. Lily dramatically said, "Ouch! He hurt my body. But I'm okay."

Okay, so on to resolutions. My resolution this year deals with the most neglected being in our house. Since Michael was born, one little thing has been pushed so far on the back burner, I would say she isn't even on the stove anymore. She sleeps all the time, no one pays attention to her unless it is shoving her out of the way, and she sometimes doesn't even get fresh water. Poor poor Shadow. She acts like an ancient dog, even though she is only 6. So my resolution is to take Shadow for a walk every day. Even if it is only around the block, I'm going to get a leash on her and take her out. Perk her up a bit. Remind her (and myself) that I love her still...even though I keep bringing home these stinky little attention hogs.

That's it. I have other goals...like to have a vegetable served with every meal (even on pizza night!). I want to exersize in the mornings (don't laugh). I want to learn to spell exercise. I want to finally get curtains and paint the walls of our downstairs. But I'm not making them resolutions...because if I fail, I want to keep trying to do them as goals. Let's be honest, I probably won't keep up with them...I have a very short attention span...they won't get done anyway.

So Shadow. I will focus on Shadow. Must love Shadow. My baby that will STAY a baby. And that I can lock up when I want to go somewhere by myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to catch up with you! I am on phone restriction, since my only phone these days is a work phone and I have abused that to the point of getting written up!!! Unbelievable. So, I'm a communicator...doesn't that make for a great sales person? The nerve.
I may just have to get on board with the blogging thing...that was fantastic.
Exersize...I love it.! I am going to go for that walk now...ha ha ha.

Joanne said...

Can I just say that I am still giggling (with tears of laughter in my eyes) at one of your resolutions being to learn to spell exercise? You seriously crack me up!