Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No, thank you

Just a few things bugging me today...

I received a J. Crew catalog in the mail by accident...it was supposed to go to someone with the same number different street. I remember J. Crew from high school...a store that people cooler than me shopped in. A store that I really like what the mannequins wore in the window. Um...what the heck happened. I leafed through the catalog today in a desperate attempt to look occupied, thus saving me from a 5th game of "Neighbor" with Andrew and Lily. The clothes didn't match, I hated the way the fabric looked, and don't even get me started on the fit of the styles. Belts on the outside of unbuttoned jackets. Silky animal print camisoles with big bow-things tied on top and then topped with a lime sweater. Vests with sideways pleats...ugh. One model is wearing a polka-dotted short skirt paired with a tiny graphic t-shirt and a granny cardigan. This 3 piece outfit (?) comes to a total of $296. I found the jeans section, and there is a woman in a pair of faded jeans with a big hole in the knee and about-to-be holes in a lot of other places. "Antique destroyed wash" is what they are called. $148.

I say to you, fashion...NO THANK YOU. I can wear out my own holes jeans, thank you very much. And I can raid my grandmother's and teenage cousin's and career woman friends' closets and randomly combine to make outfits, thank you very much.

THEN, went to Andrew's Pre-admission appointment (did I mention he's getting tubes next week?) with the whole circus parade in tow. They told me to set aside 2 HOURS...I was sweating and shaking as we walked into the hospital, Andrew holding the stroller, Lily in the stroller, Michael in the Bjorn. As I reach to open the door and shimmy the stroller through, a couple comes walking out. I wait for the woman to exit and then the man stops to let me through...nicely holding the door for me. Except that as I wheel to reposition my stroller to get through at the correct angle, and try to communicate to my 5 year old to get in front of me (all the while my 20 lb infant kicks and squirms against my chest), the man says, "Well come ON, will ya?"

I say to you, rude man posing as a polite gentleman...NO THANK YOU. I can get the door myself, thank you. I do not need you rushing me in your attempt to look gallant. I have 3 small children I am trying to maneuver through a busy parking garage. I am carting enough cargo to entertain said children for a potential 2 hours in a small waiting room. I do not need to rush, I do not need you. NO THANK YOU.

Ah...I feel better. BTW...the appointment took exactly 23 minutes. With an absolutely lovely staff helping me throughout. (Andrew has had fluid in his ears at every doctor's appointment his entire life. Only about 3 ear infections when he was two...but always fluid. And he is starting to lose hearing...hence the tubes to clear the fluid.) And then the nurse complimented me, calling me, "Very organized and capable, with lovely children." Until Lily screamed and shattered their windows when we went to leave and I made her put her coat back on. I'm sure she wished she'd held back her compliment then. ;)

And, finally, here's my recommendation of the day. Most of you probably do this already, and don't think it is very novel. But it works so well for me, what if someone out there doesn't do it??? I did this for Andrew and now for Lily...I keep a small bag of very desirable toys in the car. For Andrew is was these little Tonka cars. For Lily it is My Little Ponies. No where in the rest of their lives do they get to play with these particular toys. ONLY when we are in restaurants or appointments. Lily is literally THRILLED to go to doctor's appointments (and I'm sure at restaurants if we were actually dumb enough to go out to eat...) because of these 3 stupid ponies. Right now Andrew has a book of word searches...he only gets them when we are out. Works like a charm. So I highly highly recommend finding something small like this and saving it...even if they LOVE LOVE LOVE it...don't give in and let them carry it indoors to join the rest of your toys. There was a bit of a fight the first time I asked Lily to leave them behind. But now she knows. So there you go...

3 comments:

Jen said...

See...we tried to do this whole fun-toys-in-car thing and we slacked on the don't-take-them-into-the-house part. We'll have to re-try it with new stuff.

Oh and re: J Crew - where you say NO THANK YOU, I skip straight to the finger. That shiz is ridiculous.

Andrea said...

I must say, I find most of the "in" styles ridiculous too!! (only, everyone around me is wearing them... so I truly feel like they are going to recruit me for "what not to wear") I have refused for 2 years now to wear belts ON TOP of clothing! The one that gets me though are the giant shirts (they like to call them dresses) over spandex pants ('leggings'). OH! And boots that cost $150 a pair at the least. (which are non-functional).

Astarte said...

Pfft, new styles. They look so ridiculous! Plus, no one looks good in them, so not only am I saving money, I get a laugh out of the people I do see try to wear them! Luckily, here in the middle of nowhere, most of us shop at Penny's, Target, or Sears.