Saturday, January 24, 2009

Moving on to babyproofing

Holy crap! I need to babyproof...for real. Despite being miserable with a cold and trying to cut his two top teeth (I can SEE them...just pop through already), Michael has decided to start army crawling EVERYWHERE. He just needs the appropriate motivation. If something is choking size/covered in dog slobber/full of germs from other children/paper or magazine that someone hasn't read...you can be sure that Mikey will be hauling over to get into it. If it is a baby toy...FORGET IT...he'd rather just sit contentedly in place, thank you very much. He is still quite clumsy at the whole forward motion thing, so the rest of us get endless amusement watching him drag his face/kick his feet pointlessly in the air/grunt in frustration. But he somehow manages to get where he wants to go. We've hidden the Wiggles guitar in Lily's playhouse, and he loves to go in after it. He'll just play in that house with the guitar for 15-20 minutes. I swear he has a longer attention span that most 2 year olds.

And yesterday, I went to get him up from his nap and he was SITTING UP in his crib. Sure enough, today he has shown up numerous time that he can easily move from a lying down position up into a sitting position. And he's pulling himself up to a kneeling position...I'm sure standing and cruising will follow shortly.

I know that this is less than spectacular on the gross motor skill scale for his age. For heaven's sake, lots of kids are walking by 10 months. Even Andrew was already cruising around furniture by 9 months. But...I really really don't want him too. There are so many hazards around our house that I feel powerless to stop, because of the other children. But I suppose he has to grow up sometime...and he'll survive somehow.


Also...update on the reward post earlier. Annie wrote: I would like to offer another suggestion which I also enjoy. I have found something called Rooibos tea. Hang on, even if you aren't a tea drinker...It is naturally decaf, so great for pregnant/nursing. Full of healthy minerals and antioxidants. Naturally sweet, so no extra sugar needed, AND it comes in lots of different flavors, including chocolately, carmelly, coffee-esque goodness. Takes 5 minutes to make, another 15 to drink. There's my vote for you. If you want to feel like it is REALLY a treat, it IS a little hard to find (look online) but modestly priced.I'll be accepting my commission for this free advertising

I was really excited (as I was about all of your other comments...it's nice to know I'm not alone in trying to find a reward). It was just what I was thinking...easy, yummy, something I could fit into my everyday and would really feel like a treat. Because Baby + Hot tea = disaster...so it could be something I have all by myself at the end of the day. I ran right out and bought a box of it at my local store. Vanilla flavored Rooibos tea from Africa. I was really excited.

Now, either I bought the wrong kind of Rooibos tea, or my friend Annie is a masochist. Because if this tea is a REWARD...her days must be filled with self-torture and starvation and other painful experiences. This tea...uh-oh...the bile is coming up as I think of it...it tasted like cough syrup mixed with tree bark fermented 100 years and then mixed with cow dung. Oh. Dear. God. Annie, my dear, you must try brownies. You are punishing yourself... Or I just bought some nasty version. But I'll be damned if I try to buy another type. I've got 14 tea bags stinking up my pantry already. ;)

8 comments:

d e v a n said...

Shoot, I wanted to try it if my store carried it. Now I'm not sure...

Annie said...

Well, since this post is about my evil trick on you, here goes:

1.) Sorry for the bad experience. I will try to redeem. I meant well.

2.) You probably did buy a weird kind...the stuff I have I got online from www.specialteas.com, specifically the "white chocolate toffee". It is a loose tea, meaning no tea bag, you'll have to get a strainer.

3.) Hot tea IS doable with baby, doofus, try a travel mug!

4.) I never, NEVER, EVER insinuated that ANYTHING could actually replace brownies. I mean, how can that be? Give me a choice of any dessert out there, even the fancy ones I won't make at home, and I'll pick a box of brownie mix every time. Really. I even own a special brownie PAN that only makes corner-shaped brownies (which I haven't tried out yet). Honestly. Who do you think I am? I'm 34 weeks pregnant and ate all our Halloween candy for cripe sake.

5.) I was merely trying to hear your plea for something different and not guilt-inducing as an alternative. Send me the extra tea...your palate is clearly unrefined. :)

That's enough of a rant to retaliate I think. I think I'll stop now. Have to go try out that new pan.

Annie said...

Just wanted to add...had Ghiradelli dark chocolate brownies (with yummy chewy corners) AND roobios tea after luch. If only Reina would have napped, too...

Giselle said...

Phew. I am quite relieved to hear that I just bought a bad variety of the tea. I figured...but I felt the need to do a PSA to others who had read your comment. I felt it needed to be stated that one shouldn't just dash out and buy a package of the stuff.

Thanks for letting me poke a little fun at you ;) As if you had a choice. And corner-shaped brownies??? I'm intrigued...

Annie said...

You SHOULD be intrigued. They are amazing, if I say so myself. Each brownie has 2 chewy edges. "We've" eaten over half the pan today. But I will cease to provide any more endorsements after your last experience.

Kelsey said...

Michael is nearly nine months adjusted and isn't even sitting with 100% confidence yet (I should clarify, I mean my Michael!) so you can feel like your Michael is leaps and bounds ahead.

I'm in no rush either, esp. since he's my last and I also have the other child hazard when considering baby-proofing!

Kate said...

I know, eat the brownies FIRST, chase it with tea. Puke. No weight gain.

MamaK said...

I'm thinking you should divy up those tea bags and make them a reward for 'well meaning but...' type comments!

But I don't like the stuff either. Now, CHAI tea is a whole other bag....