Thursday, January 08, 2009

3 AM

Michael still gets up once a night to eat. It was between 4 and 5 for a long time. And it has creeped back to between 3 and 4. I know he doesn't need it. I KNOW. But nursing makes me lazy. I can do one of two things when he cries at night. A) Listen to him cry for an hour. Lie in bed sweating and thrashing (have I ever mentioned that listening to my babies cry makes me have hot flashes?). Know that I'll be up in less than 2 hours with the other children. -OR- B) Stumble into his room half asleep, slump in the rocker while he slurps away, lie him back down full and happy, and stumble back into my bed...total time awake?...maybe 15 minutes.

SO...since sleep is precious, and those 15 minutes are a really nice potty break anyway...we aren't doing cry it out. It's just more hassle right now. Once we aren't nursing...boy howdy. Mommy is going to get mean in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I have about 15 minutes each night to think while Michael fills his belly. It's not enough time to get my eyes adjusted to read (which is what I did when he was really little). So I just think. And a lot of times I get ideas for this blog. Which can be good, or really bad. Like that last marriage post. That was TOTALLY a 3 AM post. Kind of out of place on this blog, rambling, no point. Usually, when I get a great idea at 3 AM, it starts as an analogy or a metaphor. Like the marriage thing started when I was rocking and nursing and I thought, "Marriage is work like being a crossing guard is work." At 3 AM, I am struck by my brilliance. How has no one thought of this metaphor in the past? How can I not write a post about it? Brilliant (Note Sarcasm). Now, usually, I just go back to sleep and when I wake up I vaguely remember that I was thinking of a blog entry, but I can't quite remember what it was. This is the BETTER option. On a few rare occasions, I jot down a note. Then when I wake up at 5:30, I usually forget the note. By the time I find it, I realize it was a lame idea and leave it. But very very occasionally, I see the note first thing in the morning. And I come down and write the blog right away.

And THAT, my friends, is how we end up with strange pointless posts like the marriage post a few days ago.

I have no excuse for the lame and whiny posts that usually grace this URL.

Stay tuned..lame posts about Andrew getting tubes, breastfeeding, and Lily quirks to come! I promise I didn't think of them at 3 AM!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I am impressed you think that coherently at 3am! I seriosuly don't think I even open my eyes for those middle of the night feeds!

d e v a n said...

C still gets up to nurse several times a night, but he does it in our bed and I fall asleep. lol
I don't think I can come up with any good posts that way!

Swistle said...

I read that post right before reading this one, and I thought it was good. Thought-provoking.

I have two, no THREE, no FOUR theories about why people say marriage is work:

1) Semantics: They mean "work" the way you mean "effort." They mean it takes maintenance and can't just go on auto-pilot.

2) Different kind of marriage. A poor match, maybe, or a challenging match, where the effort IS more like work.

3) Jerkiness: I've noticed that many people seem to like the superior feeling that comes from telling other people they can't know what they're getting into. It makes them feel wise, and lets them look down on the naive. This happens with parenting, too: "Oh, just wait 'til he's born!" "Oh, just wait 'til you have TWO!" "Oh, just wait 'til he's a teenager!," etc.

4) They are thinking of the dimwits who are all "love love love I am so in love and everything will always be perfect because we are meant to be together TL4eva!!!" They want to warn those people that the initial effortless wildly-in-love high generally doesn't last, and that marriage takes effort.

Swistle said...

Also: I totally agree with you that "effort" is a better word, and I suspect I'll think of it that way from now on. Also-also: I totally agree that the crossing-guard thing is good.