Saturday, January 03, 2009

The joy of 3

Do you ever wonder if there is a perfect number? A perfect number of kids, that is? I think perhaps there is...but it can be different for different people. Which can pose a problem in a marriage...you know, if your perfect number isn't the same. And, of course, what you THINK is your perfect number might not actually end up being correct...which sucks if you've come to an agreement with your spouse, and then it doesn't feel right. Or, heaven forbid, you have another child and then realize that the perfect number is your number minus one.

I know that one of my greatest joys with having children is watching them together. Their growing relationship is so fun (and alternately irritating) to watch. This Christmas break, it was so satisfying to see them entertaining each other...even if it was to fight. When nothing else is going on, they have each other. And hopefully they always will.

Here's one of the sweetest shots I have of the older kids...it's at the train display at Reading Terminal Market. I love the size difference...

And more of that "loving" relationship.
Are they playing with the doll? I think it looks like Lily is beating Andrew with it...and he is loving every second of it.


Oh, wait, here's one of Michael and Lily smiling at the camera. This is the best on cue smile I've gotten from Lily...ever.


Lily is ecstatic to have Mikey in the house with her. She LOVES it...as does he.


I think that Jeff was fairly certain that "2" kids was his perfect number. And judging from the pictures above, you may think it is my perfect number. But don't allow my logistical difficulties in getting 3 children into one picture fool you.

I am really feeling like 3 is my number. I love that we are planning future vacations and going on outings without feeling like it is too huge of a production. I love that my kids have multiple siblings to wage war against and cuddle up with. I feel such satisfaction with my little family. I know it helps that I got the kids that I got...they are pretty wonderful.

And I think Jeff is getting on board also. He has realized that I probably would have wanted 3 eventually. And that we would just be starting trying to get pregnant right now. And how wonderful it is that instead of starting over with a baby right now, we have 3 kids all within a range that makes future vacation/activity planning really fun. And of course, Mikey is finally in the age that Jeff starts to really enjoy. I hear them giggling together a lot. It helps change your perfect number when you fall in love.

I guess I'm just saying that I'm happy. I wasn't in this place a year ago...and heaven knows that once Michael starts walking (in the direct opposite direction of Lily), I may put this contentedness on hold for a while. But for today...for now...I'm just where I want to be.

And here's a video of the 3 stooges...sorry about the poor lighting. Notice Michael's face of pure JOY whenever one of his siblings talks to him or plays with him. Notice my delicate flower trying to take down both of her brothers. And notice Andrew being the ultimate big brother...gently playing with both of them. My three. The perfect number.



5 comments:

CARRIE said...

I hope and pray D decides 3 could be a magic number. I mean the SchoolHouse Rock people knew it, why can't he?

bluedaisy said...

They are so awesome together! I keep leaning more toward the number 3- although I could make an argument about why 2 is a nice number as well. Your post is definitely persuasive towards trying for a 3rd little one :)

Kate said...

They are the perfect three-- i love those kids. And let me tell you-- I haven't decided what the perfect number of nieces and nephews is yet... but so far I'm completely totally in love with each of them. I think I have room for more!

Kelsey said...

You do have quite a group there - I'm glad they feel like such a good fit for your family. They look like they have so much fun together!

I'm still working on finding the feeling that two is perfect for us, but I think that may come in time.

Joanne said...

I love when you have to cut in and remind Lily not to tackle the baby. I swear that sounds just like me!

I, myself, think that 3 is the perfect number, too. So sure, in fact, that we've taken medical steps to ensure that there are no more than the 3! ;-)