Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just gotta get it down...

Here are a few totally disconnected stories that I just want to get down in writing for my future self. Enjoy...or not. This one's totally for me.

Lily gets upset when she spills something or makes a mess. I believe I had a post a while back about our painting adventures...a good example of this problem she has. Incidentally, Andrew has had similar issues...I'm pretty sure they are MY issues that I have passed along through every gasp and grumble at messes. But What-EVER. Now that Michael is eating solids, now that we have 2 highchairs at the table, now that we have discovered that there is no conceivable way to put the highchairs close together, now that Lily is all the way at the end of the table by herself, I can't be wiping off her hands every time she gets a little yogurt on her thumb. And since she is all alone down there, there is yogurt EVERYWHERE...not just on her thumb. So she will hold up the offending limb and request the clean up crew. I have taken to saying, "It's okay. I'll clean you all up at the end. It's okay." So now it has become Lily's mantra everytime there is a mess. She'll drop a syrupy waffle piece right in her clean hair, "It's okay, mom. It's okay." Or the yogurt container will fall over, spilling it's contents all over her pants, "It's okay." Which is all well and good. Except now she will be playing in another room, and I'll hear her call out, "It's okay, Mom. It's okay." And when I run in, I can't tell what has happened. And she won't tell me, just repeating, "It's okay." A few days ago, it took me 5 minutes to find the spilled sippy cup behind her little Elmo couch...because she just kept repeating her mantra. I about had a heart attack in the grocery when I was looking at the shelf to pick out fajita mix and Lily started saying, "It's okay." I looked frantically around for a broken jar of salsa or a missing barrette or shoe. I'm pretty sure, "pretty sure", it was just a dropped fruit snack. I think.

Andrew loves football. Have I mentioned that before (ya think?). His attention span is getting a lot longer with actually watching games. And there are commercials...which he doesn't mind at all. I REFUSE to watch kids television with commercials. We are a PBS family...with an occasional Mickey Mouse Club House/Hi-5/Blue's Clues non-commercial show thrown in. Commercials are quite novel for Andrew. And apparently he's paying attention. We had friends over for dinner last weekend, and the husband likes beer. We don't tend to have beer in the house, so I sent Jeff and Andrew on an errand to 1)get haircuts 2)get beer. No beer in grocery stores here in the great state of PA...must go to beer store. (and buy a gigantic year-supply case...no 6 packs here...) Anyhoo, Andrew walks in and says to Jeff (loudly), "So, Dad. Are you going to get Bud Light?" Again...we do not have beer in the house. I blame football.

Speaking of football...Jeff and Andrew are totally recruiting Lily to love football. She gets in a 3-point stance and says "hike" and tackles and passes the football. She yells, "Touchdown!" and "Go Buckeyes" and "Go Eagles". So I am going to take Michael. I deserve at least ONE child who will go to the movies with me on Sundays or to the park to hike or whatever. Jeff could have left me the girl-child, but since he didn't, Michael's going to be my buddy. Of course, he already reaches for the football and LOVE to gum it. -sigh-

Michael seriously needs to learn how to crawl. He rolls everywhere, even rotating his body so that he can roll in the direction he wants to. But he hasn't learned to clear the rolling area, so he is constantly rolling on top of box lids, wooden blocks(ouch!), FP animals, etc. He also likes to try and pull himself to standing, but he refuses to use anything higher than himself while sitting. Which means he can pull himself to his knees...but then he's just become taller than his object...so there is no pulling to standing. So he is stuck on his knees, crying for someone to come and save him. CRAWL.

Andrew has heard me telling everyone that he is getting tubes because of the fluid in his ears. Smarty pants has no problems eavesdropping...fluid or no fluid. Jeff was getting upset because Andrew STILL HADN'T PUT ON HIS SHOES, and Andrew calmly said, "Sorry, Dad. I have fluid in my ears, so I can't hear you real good." Uh-huh.

Shadow loves Michael. I can't even understand it. She loves to sit right next to him while he's on the floor. He pulls her ears, tugs on her collar, smacks her across the head. She just takes the abuse...never snapping and still seeking him out. I just don't get it. The most pathetic was one day he was lying on his back doing giant frog kicks with his legs. She moved right up against him, getting kicked to high heaven. It must have HURT! And this kid isn't even feeding her yet. I can't figure it out. I think they must be soul mates. :)

2 comments:

Astarte said...

What a great dog!!! Mine have put up with a lot over the years, but I don't think they ever volunteered for kicking.

When Josie learned to crawl, she did it *backwards* for about two weeks, which led to a lot of screaming, because everything she wanted only got further away!!! It was funny for awhile, but then the screaming got old. Maybe he just isn't going to crawl at all?

Christina said...

I had to laugh at your post... so many similarities to my life. My husband is from PA, and being from the Midwest, I couldn't understand the concept of the beer store. We have a dog named Shadow, too, who is a glutton for punishment from the kids. Anyway, I'll keep coming by, so thank Kelsey for the shout-out!