Saturday, January 16, 2010

Comparisons

When Andrew was born, I actually read parenting books. Not frequently, and not very many, but I had a book that told you what milestones your child should/could be making. All the way up until 3 years old. So every month, I would pull down this gigantic book and I'd exclaim how far ahead he was verbally and I'd despair at how behind he was physically. And then I'd put it back up on the shelf until the next month. I had a book on potty training and disciplining. I had a book of cute stories about preschoolers. I had several books about how to entertain a toddler.

Then Lily came along. Every 3 months or so, I would dust off that big book of milestones and check up on her. But I found myself constantly pulling out Andrew's baby book to compare her to him. But after a few months, it became quite evident that she was on a completely different path of growing up. And she still is. I still playfully compare them (like by this age, Andrew could point out 10 states on a US map, and Lily...um...Lily likes to use maps as her pretend computer...even though we have several actual kid computers...whatever). But even as I compare them, I enjoy the differences. Sure, Lily may not understand the playing positions of professional football. But, then again, Lily doesn't understand the playing positions of pro football. See? Positives and negatives. ;)

Michael...poor Michael. I actually donated those big books of milestones when he turned 15 months...because I had never even once looked in them. And why bother looking in the old baby books...this child is totally different than the first two. I *thought* Lily and Andrew were totally different, but in actuality, they are both very verbal and not very physical. Michael...is Michael.

So I KNOW he's not as verbal. And yet, when I went looking for blog clips from Andrew at 21 months and Lily at 21 months, I was shocked...SHOCKED at how much both of them were talking at this age. I almost wet my pants on Sunday when a child stole a toy from Mike, and he pointed at her and sadly said, "Share." So exciting...he has a new word every day, and is really taking off. But, Lord Almighty...Lily said, "Go for walk with Paw-paw?" at this same age. And Lily was way behind Andrew at that age...Andrew was cracking jokes at this age (we have it on video...of course...first child).

Thank heavens he's my 3rd, because if Lily had been this far behind Andrew, I probably would have freaked out and had her in intensive speech therapy. Okay, so it's me we're talking about, I would have maybe talked to someone about it. But with Mike...I'm happy he's trying to talk...I'm happy that he is making progress with his speech. And I watch him open the pantry for his older sister...because she still hasn't figured it out...and I know my little caveman is going to be JUST FINE.

(but...dear Lord...the frustration of this child. Not being able to speak really puts a damper on my poor boy. He just CAN'T let us know what he wants...)

2 comments:

CARRIE said...

So funny, and so true. G is way ahead of N physically. He has mastered lots of physical stuff that, as you say, she has yet to do. He can drink out of a straw. She couldn't do that until she was like 4.

nicole said...

Such a struggle to not compare and freak out. I can relate. Our 23 month old really had a hard time until she finally learned some words to communicate her needs. She is still challenging, but at least now we can figure out what she wants at least half the time. The differences are part of what makes it so fun to have several children.