Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Saints Among Us

I was raised Roman Catholic and loved the church I attended while growing up. When I went to a Catholic college, I was instantly made aware that my home church was very atypical of a Catholic church. I found that everywhere I moved throughout the country, I felt very un-Catholic. I felt out of place, even though I was supposed to know what was going on. Jeff was very very supportive of us belonging to a Catholic church and even raising our children in the faith. But I found that I felt like an outsider. Not to mention that Catholic churches in the places we have lived are so HUGE, it is hard to find a place to get comfortable.

So we have joined a small United Methodist church in town. And I have always loved the UMC...they are very inclusive and non-judgmental and service oriented and just down-right easy to get along with. And for the most part, I don't feel too different (except when I keep calling the service "Mass" and I fight the urge to do the sign of the cross and I'm never quite sure WHAT to call the pastor/Reverend). Oh! And I really miss the importance of Mary...I always felt very connected to praying to her.

But I do occasionally come across something that I miss about my childhood religion. A few nights ago, Andrew and I were reading his children's Bible. Andrew ADORES this book and will drop everything to read it. Andrew is actually the reason we've joined a church...ever since he started at a Christian pre-school, he has been fascinated by the Word of God. He eats it up...preferring the story of baby Jesus to Santa Claus, etc. And it has nothing to do with his upbringing, let me tell you. Jeff and I are NOT avid Bible readers, we've never prayed at the dinner table, etc. But Andrew just has this connection...

Anyhoo, we were reading about Jesus's first miracle. And I asked Andrew what a miracle is. He answered, "Something that God can do that people cannot." And I wanted to correct him that a miracle is something that God can MAKE happen...sometimes through regular everyday people. Like saints. Oops. Wait. No saints in the UMC. But I told Andrew about Saints anyway, because I always liked that about the Catholic church. I liked feeling that God can do wondrous miracles through regular people...not just in stories from long long ago about the clouds parting and a booming voice making revelations.

So, basically, Andrew may grow up very confused. But somehow I can't help introducing these parts of religion to him. I think someday I will take him to a Catholic Mass and show him what it's like. In the meantime, I appreciate his interest and spirituality, and hope it continues to foster and grow in him. I've always envied people with strong faith...

3 comments:

Katie B. said...

I haven't been to church in ages, but I still ask my mom to say prayers to St. Anthony for me when I lose stuff. Mom and Tony always get the job done.

d e v a n said...

Saints are one of my favorite parts of the Catholic religion as well.

nicole said...

I think it is great that you are sharing with him those things that moved you and were important to you about the Catholic faith. Also, I'm sure you know this, you don't have to continue to go to a Catholic church to foster a devotion to Mary. She's not going to ignore your prayers just because you don't say them in a Catholic church. :)