Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Okay, so I am taking this from a few blogs that I happened across. Because, really? Who wants to read yet ANOTHER post about how my children are annoying me and how I am truly a terrible mother to them. And if you DO want to read another post (I imagine because it makes YOU feel like a better mother), then just tune in tomorrow...I'm sure I'll have another :)

So here it is...The Simple Woman's Daybook. And I am certainly a simple woman...simple in dress, styling, cooking, decorating, mentality. Simple.


For today: January 12

Outside my window: Cloudy, cold morning. But I am pleased by all the little songbirds visiting my bird feeder. I especially like the titmouse that bullies away the bigger birds. Bold little sucker.



I am thinking: That I probably shouldn't be using my Sesame Street alone time so soon in the day. But all the kids are bathed...so that's something...

I am thankful for: The book 1,2,3 Magic. I refreshed myself yesterday on the basic tenants of that parenting/disciplining book and am resolved to not yell today. I even sat Andrew and Lily down first thing this morning and reviewed with them our new/old procedures. No yelling...just counting.

I am wearing: My cozy fleece sweatshirt and sweatpants that Andrew picked out for me for Christmas. It's bright green, because he knows that's my favorite color. Thoughtful kid. I have never had a more comfortable outfit...and I only wear it on days that I have nowhere to go.

I am remembering: That I have to call customer service for our brand new waffle maker today. Darned thing snapped and broke the first time we used it. Hassle.

I am going: To California in one month exactly. I'll be on a plane the 12th of next month. Hip-hip-hooray!


I am currently reading: The Help for book club. And Wolf Hall, my Christmas present from Jeff.

I am hoping: That Lily will finally start sleeping through the night again. Or napping consistently. Or decided which one will work for her. These grouchy days are really wearing on me. And Michael has slept through the night (6:30-6:30) the last 3 days. It is really irritating that I am getting up several times a night with her instead. She hasn't done this in 2 years...grrrr.

On my mind: Re-doing our kitchen. We are having a contractor over Saturday to give us a quote. He comes highly recommended from a friend of mine who just did her kitchen. I am constantly trying to decide what exactly I want. We have several different levels of re-finishing/re-modeling...I am nervous to see just how expensive each is. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will pay off when we go to sell this place.

Noticing that: Each child is playing quite nicely by themselves. I think it could be a good morning.

Pondering these words: "Don't breathe the air, let the air breathe you." I went to a yoga class last night for the first time in my life. While I liked the stretching and aide of having a teacher present, I am having a really hard time getting over the whole spiritual/voodoo/hippy aspect of it. One and a half hours of listening to quotes like the above was a bit too cheesy for me.


From the kitchen: Pork chops are out and ready to be browned. Dinner tonight is a crockpot dish...pork chops with cabbage, onions, sauerkraut, apples, brown sugar...served with mashed potatoes and cooked carrots. Yum, yum, yummy!

Around the house: It is still a wreck! And tomorrow one of my friends is coming to sit in the house while the littles nap so I can go visit Andrew's class (it's open house week at his school). But this means she will very likely need to go upstairs. Oh, horror of horrors. Will she be shocked at the lack of ANYTHING hanging on the walls. Or the fact that I still have the pictures hanging in Michael's room that I hung up way back when it was still the guest room. Or the fact that Lily's comforter is green and blue (because it is warm), when her room is lilac? I FAIL at kids' rooms.


One of my favorite things: Mint creamer for my coffee. Oh, how I miss it now that the holidays are over.


A few plans for the rest of the week: Andrew has no school on Friday, because everybody needs a 4 day weekend. We're just worn out from the one full week of school since winter break. (note sarcasm). So I'm going to take them to the aquarium before our membership expires at the end of the month. It is certain to be a disaster. I am almost certain to lose one of the children. Someone may fall into the shark petting tank. There will be tears. Frustration. And hopefully squeals of joy from my youngest to make it all worthwhile.





A picture for today: Mike as Daniel Boone.


Off to go play neighbor.

2 comments:

mom said...

Davey Crockett?

Giselle said...

Yea, I thought Davey Crockett too...but the tag says Dan'l Boone Coonskin Caps. We got it in Texas...maybe their American History is shakey...