Wednesday, January 30, 2008

b.o.r.e.d.

I don't think I could be more bored. Stir-crazy. Cabin fever.

It is a beautiful sunny day. A bit windy. Okay, pretty crazy windy...our door from the garage into the house blew open, despite the fact both garage doors are closed. That's pretty windy. But sunny and lovely.

My son refuses to leave the house. He loves nothing more than following me around the house all day dumping random toy bins just for the joy of hearing me scream in frustration. He rarely plays with anything for more than 5 minutes on days like today...just shadows me around, getting underfoot, and refusing to do ANYTHING that I suggest. Do you want to paint? No. Do you want to bake cookies? No. He wants to play "neighbor", which we've already played 600 times in the past week. Want to know how to play "Neighbor"? Andrew asks you what your name is. He is always named "Football" or something and Lily is always always his wife Buttercup. Once names are established, Andrew rubs in how his house is nicer than mine. And then he asks me lots of questions. "Do you like jaguars? How many children do you have? Do you have a job?" etc etc. Nothing ever comes of these questions. I suggest we go on a pretend safari to look for jaguars...nope. Just wants to ask pointless questions over and over. I swear he's going to be a sportscaster someday. Anyway, other than play neighbor or dump crap all over the house, Andrew is just underfoot. DRIVES ME CRAZY. I want to get out of the house. But I don't really have anywhere to go or anything to do, so it's not worth the fight to get him into the car. Why fight the epic battle when there's nowhere to go.

Oh, yes, there's nowhere to go because Lily is a big old sick-o. Just miserable, following me around the house whining, "Mommm-ee, Mommm-ee". But in true Lily style, although she desperately wants comforting, she can't stand to be cuddled. So it is up and down up and down up and down.

My back is KILLING me from sitting on the floor attempting to please both children. I cannot sit on the floor anymore. It flares up this nerve thingy. This is preventing me from doing anything productive...like dishes or vacuuming or organizing...which would also give me a good excuse to ignore the children. So, please, tell me people, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ALL DAY??? Andrew is watching tv. That's all I can do to get him away from me for 5 minutes. Lily is whining beside me right now. Seriously, I don't think anyone but a SAHM can imagine what it is like to not have one single minute without someone asking you a question, getting in your face, undoing every action. Jeff keeps putting the downstairs toilet roll back on, because he doesn't understand that every time I use that toilet, Lily is in there with me, unrolling the paper. I'm sure he thinks I'm a delinquent who can't even put the paper on the roll, much less keep the house clean. But I literally don't even get 5 seconds to pee in peace. I'm fighting with her to keep her hands out of the toilet, stop tearing up the paper, get out from under the sink, what in God's name did you find in the corner...etc etc.

-sigh-

I have not had a conversation with another adult (besides Jeff...and he went to fencing last night, so not even really him) since Saturday. My mother can't even stay on the phone with me for more than 10 minutes because I literally have nothing to talk about. I'm bored AND boring. A lovely thing to be.

-sigh-

Andrew has tired of the tv. He is leading his sister up the steps...probably to make another huge mess that I am incapable of cleaning up without shooting pains that make me cry out loud. Oh, there's Andrew, telling me innocently that Lily is going up the stairs. Even though he led her there.

-sigh-

I really do love being a stay-at-home mom. But do I have to stay at home? Really? I don't think I'm cut out for this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand! I am a SAHM of one 3 year old, so I can only imagine what it is like with 2 kids. Though I will find out in September...
People laugh when I say that I have a visitor when I pee--she wants to "help" Mommy. Though that has backed off some lately, which is nice, but then you wonder, what are you getting into????And being a formerly overachieving Type-A personality, I sometimes wonder if I have lost my mind staying at home!!! We decided this was best, but no one understands how mind-numbing and draining (and alternately wonderful) being home with a child can be.
Hopefully, you can get some rest and Lily recuperates quickly!

~Sara (I found your blog from Kelsey's--I was in the Honors program with her and Jeff at UD)

Blondie said...

You just described my day. My Princess is sicko and she spent the entire day "Mah-mee... Mah-mee..." And she's hoarse, so she sounds extra pitiful.

Seriously, with the exception of the Neighbor game and the different names, you just wrote my post for today. I think I'll just link to you. Thanks! :) (Big cheesy grin...)

Erin said...

HAHA! I am seriously laughing at the game Neighbor. Oh my. That is funny stuff.

But NOT for you. (Sorry.) (Stopping laughing now.) (Hahaha!) (But it's so FUNNY.) I can see how that would be boring. Even though I hemmed and hawed over the end of both my maternity leaves, I don't think I could stay home. I feel bad saying that, but it's absolutely true. Staying at home would be mentally and emotionally really really difficult. To say the least.

Kate said...

Thank you for delaying the conception of any future niece or nephew for another day.

One shadow is enough. One shadow playing neighbor and a sick kid is... enough to make anyone celibate.

Anonymous said...

Well, If it helps you can call me. I can always talk on the phone. and I don't go to work until 11 your time. You've been up for about 8 hours by then right? :)