Thursday, January 03, 2008

Flowered sheets and conversationalist

Sometimes I'm so inspired to write in this blog.

And then there are days like today.

Okay, now that I have you all excited, let's get into some random thoughts.


Is it weird that Andrew prefers flowered sheets? I was taking off his Thomas the Train sheets (thread count 15...a little rougher than white computer paper) and asked him what other sheets he would like on the bed. He has these really cool sports sheets and then these flowered sheets we inherited from my Memere. He picked flowers. Like he always does. Weird? Not if you could feel these sheets. They just don't make them like they used to. Any sane person would pick these 25 year old sheets...they are divine cottony softness. But if you just look in his room WITHOUT feeling the sheets...it looks weird. And heaven forbid someone ask him what design his sheets are. Kind of strange.

Lily is talking up a storm. I love it. She has words for so many things...not that anyone other than Jeff and I would understand them. The clearest things she says are thank you (dink-jo), book (boo), fish (pshh), cheese (chssss), and mommy,daddy, etc. She now says the word as she signs also, so it's easy to figure out milk (mi), more (mo), and all done (ah-du). She knows a cow says "moo", a sheep says "bah bah bah", and a cat says "me-ew". We were at Target yesterday, and she suddenly got super excited and pointing and saying "Mee-ew mee-ew" over and over. Sure enough, we were standing next to a greeting card with a cat on it, and Lil was DESPERATE to let me know. And she understands so much...she can follow a simple direction (Lily, take this book to Daddy). It is so fun. And she is so thrilled that we understand her. You can just tell how tickled she is when we give her what she wants because she's said something. So cool. And she still loves singing. Her favorite song is Bah bah Black Sheep...probably because Bah is her favorite syllable ever. So I'll sing Old MacDonald (she sings the E-I-O...missing an E and an I in there), but as soon as I'm done she looks at me and says, "Bah bah". When I start to sing her favorite, she grins wildly and dances. Love her. So much fun.

Andrew was trying to figure out fractions while Grandpa was here. Ugh. He's going to pass me in math skills before he's out of elementary school.

I finished my final grad course so I can renew my teaching certificate. Hell would have to freeze over before I actually went back to teaching, but I feel better knowing that if Jeff leaves me for his secretary I could get a decent paying job with health benefits, etc. Of course, I wouldn't have the kids, so that would make things financially better. Yea, that's our deal. Whoever initiates the divorce would have to take the kids. I'll be damned if he gets a cute little chickee and starts over with no responsibilities. If he wants to leave, then I get to start over. But we're happily married. Really. We just talk about things like this. Like I've casually let him know that I castrated a cat in anatomy in college. So I know how to do things like that if he would get the urge to stray. He talks about writing up a contract promising him at least 3 times a week if he gets the old snip snip. We have normal conversations too. Like how much milk is left in the basement fridge. And if we should finally get curtains for our windows even though we've lived without them for over a year now. Hmmmm, now our marriage sounds weird. We're normal, I swear. Not that I have anything to compare it to.

Um, how do I follow that little awkward bit of writing? I got nothin'. I'll try and be inspired tomorrow...

3 comments:

Kate said...

Colin still think bees live in his flower sheets. My flower sheets are from when I had my first job-- one step above burlap but not quite as bad as childrens character sheets. Nice to know our boys enjoy pansies.

HawleyFamily said...

Ahhh...how I miss you guys! Think of all the weird conversations we all could have had together if you were still in California! I swear, not too many people get my weird sense of humor and it is MUCH like yours...I could totally see Adam and I having the same conversation! :)

Mairzy said...

I found you from Swistle. Your posts make me laugh!