Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"There are no secrets from a 4 year old"

We went to the grocery this morning. At 8:30 am. Love the shopping early in the morning. Very few people for Andrew to stop and chat with, so we get through much quicker. But once we get to the checkout line, he has a lot to say, because he hasn't gotten any of it out of his system. Who am I kidding? Andrew could talk all day and still not be tired of it. Jeff is home for 15 minutes, and he starts making little comments like, "Do you EVER stop, Andrew?" Which makes me happy, because it helps him understand why I am so desperate for him to get home every evening.

Anyhoo, here's the conversation with the checker this morning. This is a typical conversation for Andrew. Probably not for the checker.

The instant we pull into the line, Andrew approaches the checker. I literally have put one thing on the conveyor belt.

Andrew-"Hi! I'm Andrew. I'm 4."
Checker-"Hi, Andrew." (this is a big mistake. by acknowledging Andrew, the floodgates have been opened...poor unknowing checker).
A-"My mom is pregnant. She is 30 and so is my dad. She has a boy baby in her tummy. We know cause the doctor checked."
C-"The doctor checked, huh."
A-"Yea, he checked and he saw a PENIS."
C-chuckles uncomfortably. He probably doesn't hear the word penis at work much.
A-"There are no secrets from a 4 year old." (this is what I say to ease tension when Andrew tells uncomfortable details about our life to complete strangers. He has taken to repeating it when people laugh nervously about something he has said.)

At this point, the 60-something woman in line behind me starts chuckling. She coos at Lily, asking her name, telling her she's a smart little girl. Andrew's radar goes off...Lily is getting more attention than him...he must sweep in and take over.

A-"Hi! My name is Andrew. I'm 4."
Woman-"Yes, I know. I heard. I have a grandson named Andrew. It's a very nice name. Is this your little sister?"
A-"Yes, her name is Lily. My mom is pregnant."
W-"Your mom has a present?"
A-(yelling now)"No, she's PREG-NANT."
W-"Oh, she's having another baby. How lucky that you get to be the biggest brother."

And on and on and on.

Sometimes we luck out, and the checker has on a football jersey or something else that interests Andrew. Then we can avoid the reproduction conversations and how many bowel movements we've had that day.

There is no such thing as a quick errand with my little chatter box. Just when I think he's so much like his dad, he shows this super social side. I guess I had a little input in him after all.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I will never get tired of hearing Andrew stories, that kid cracks me up! I'm sorry we don't get to see you more often.

Also, I cannot imagine being at the grocery store at 8:30 in the morning. You guys are kind of get-up-and-go in the morning aren't you?