Thursday, January 31, 2008

29 weeks

Had another doctor's appointment tonight. Well, I guess I should say midwife appointment, since I've never actually met any of the doctors in this practice. -sigh- I love the midwives. I wish that I could have had them for my previous 2 pregnancies. I'm lucky enough to have relatively problem-free pregnancies, and I'm also quite knowledgable about pregnancy and I'm a laid back person...perfect for having midwives. Tonight was no exception to confirming my love of these ladies.

Weight gain was 0 lbs. Total weight gain at 30 weeks: 10 lbs. My previous 2 doctors told me to get on it and start gaining weight. They were worried that I was dieting during pregnancy (as if!). Midwife's response: "You just aren't gaining much weight, now, are you? But you have good sized babies anyway, so you must have some secret."

Told/complained about nerve thingy. Doctor told me to put Bengay on it. Midwife's response: "Oh, I had that with my second child. I'm so sorry. It hurts really bad. Have you tried yoga? Don't worry, it should go away when the baby is born."

Asked when I need to start worrying about kick counts. Doctors told me 3rd trimester to just sit and count...blah blah blah, I can't remember the specifics. Midwife's response: "If they make you feel good, do the kick counts. I think they add too much stress. Just know your baby. Check in a couple times a day with the baby...have some baby time. If you notice that there is decreased movement...for your baby...then call us."

Love them, love them, love them. Maybe part of my problem is that my previous doctors were all men in their 50s. Perhaps having a female doctor would have made me love them also. But I am enjoying this experience tremendously. My midwife tonight was delighting in the baby moving in my belly. She must see this so many times a day...but she was squishing him and feeling him move, saying hello to him. So fun.

Now we start going every 2 weeks. Next appointment...Valentine's Day. The receptionist actually said, "Oh, dear, 2 weeks from now is Valentine's Day. Should we pick another day?" Um, no, thanks. I have 2 kids under 4 and I'm in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy. The kind of romance I have lined up for this holiday can be squeezed in after a 15 minute doctor's appointment, thank you very much. Unless you'd like to babysit?

5 comments:

Swistle said...

Ha ha! Yeah, we have SUPER ROMANTIC VALENTINE'S DAY PLANS, too. We're going to watch a DVD while eating dinner. WHOOOO!

HawleyFamily said...

Adam will be out of town on Valentine's day. Oh well!

Glad you are enjoing this one so much! That was the nice thing about the third...you are so afraid for them to come out that you really enjoy every moment that they are in there! :)

CARRIE said...

I cannot believe how quickly your pregnancy is going. Sheesh! You need to upload a picture so we can see your belly.

Kelsey said...

I'm only about two and a half weeks behind you so I best stop freaking out about how quickly your baby is coming!!!

I'm glad you are having such a good experience. . . I feel kind of meh about my doctor. I like her well enough, but I'm not LOVING her. However, I don't dislike her anywhere near enough to have looked into someone else. So there you go.

Andrea said...

MIdwives ROCK don't they?
Mine used to dance to Joey's HB at every appointment and told me that she has never once in her 30 years of practice gotten bored of listening to that sound. I am going to kind of miss them now that I'll only be going once a year :(