Thursday, January 10, 2008

15 months

My Lillian is 15 months old now??? How did this happen???

I took her to the doctor today. The wait was ridiculous, but she was entertained by the books and toys I brought. While distracting her, I discovered that she has broken a molar through on the top. No wonder she hasn't been eating lately!!! And, phew, glad I noticed before the doctor told me and I looked shocked. I'm a slacker of a parent enough without missing something big like that. ;)

Because Lily is the 2nd child, I forgot to write down what her weight and height were. Loser. But I partly blame Lily because she is so darn wiggly and curious, there's no way I could've written it down anyway. Her percentiles are the same as last time, 50th for weight and 75th for height...I think she was around 23 pounds and 30 inches tall. Actually, I'm sure she was 23 pounds. Height...not so sure.

The doctor saw her sitting in her "W" stance (knees bent, feet backward), and immediately guessed she wasn't walking. Apparently, children who sit like that have poor muscle tone and are usually delayed walkers. Interesting. She was going to recommend intervention/PT, but when she saw the strides that Lily has been making in walking on her own, she held off. I am to watch her, and if she stops progressing with her walking, then I am to call and get her some extra therapy. So we'll see. I'm definitely not opposed to therapy...but she HAS made great strides lately (no pun intended). She can take about 3 steps independently now.

To balance out the physical delays, the doctor was noticeably impressed by Lily's verbal skills at 15 months. And for once, Lily actually showed some of them off. She was reading a book as I talked to the doctor and said, "Touchdown" (complete with arm motion) when she saw a football, meow-ed when she saw a cat, pointed at everything, etc etc. So that made a mama proud. Apparently her ability to follow directions and understand is ahead of the game. Whatever. I wouldn't know, since I don't read parenting books anymore. Just don't tell me if it is totally normal. ;) I prefer thinking my child is a genius.

Otherwise, Lily is healthy as can be! Despite living on dairy products and Cheerios, she is growing and healthy. She had to get 4 shots (poor baby), and her screams brought notice from all the nurses in the office. We got lots of comments on her good lungs. Seriously, you guys can't even imagine this shrill shriek she has. Yikes.

Next appointment...she'll be a big sister. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I wanted to offer a little encouragement as an early intervention OT. I think you and your pediatrician have a good perspective, because it sounds like she's making a lot of progress toward walking. If she's taking 3 steps independently, she'll probably be running across the room before you know it. But one piece of unsolicited advice I have: kids with low tone DO love to w-sit, because it makes them feel more stable, but it's really tough on their joints and stretches their ligaments over the long run. So if you can persuade her to "fix her legs" (put them in front of her) when you see her sitting like that, it may be helpful down the road. (that being said, I can't imagine how I would begin to try and change a habit like that of Katy's if someone recommended it to me, so just take it with a grain of salt) Anyway, I look forward to hearing her progress...
And I really loved reading about each time you found out about your pregnancies. That is so fascinating to me, and interesting to hear when you know someone who already has a few kids to hear how they got there.

Mairzy said...

Of course your child is a genius. You even could start out your post like another one I read the other day: "My husband and I are fully aware that the baby is ahead of her age range. She's very bright." So let me know what you think next time.

Since I've just joined the game so have missed all the drama, do you have a name picked out for the new boy?

Mairzy said...

Popping back to make sure my comment didn't sound snarkey. I was laughing at the other couple, not at you. Your Lily sounds very much ahead of the verbal game and very cute.

Anonymous said...

Do you remember Savannah's shrill little scream? I feel your pain LOL. Oh yeah, and it only gets worse.

About the walking - don't sweat it. Savannah was 19 months old before she walked. Twice had First Steps come in and twice they told me she didn't qualify. The little stinker has just always been behind on the physical stuff (like walking and potty training) but like Lilly ahead of the curve on verbal stuff.

Can't wait to meet the new little booger - I will get to meet him right??? Angie