Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A 3-hour tour...I mean test.

So I took a 3-hour glucose test today. Not because I failed a one hour. Nope. This OB practice has a policy that if you have a baby over 9 pounds, you just skip right to the 3 hour test. I pointed out that I've had a 7 pound baby since my 9+ pounder, which seems to prove to me that he wasn't big because of diabetes. They wouldn't listen.

The 3 hour test was an unexpected pain in the butt. No food for 12 hours for a pregnant woman is insane. Then they take your blood, you drink this stuff (pure sugar, I think) and they take your blood an hour later. Then an hour after that. Then an hour after that. But for someone like me, who is usually lucky to get one good stick per doctor's visit, all these blood draws are a bit of torture. After 5 sticks, they went back to one of the original sticks to get further draws. Lovely. Let's just stick another needle back into the hold that just clotted up an hour ago. I did enjoy 3 hours of cross-stitching and watching Regis/Rachel Ray. Did you know that Rachel Ray is hardly a cooking show??? That show is an hour, and she only cooked during the last 15 minutes. Weird.

Anyhoo, I should find out by the end of the week. Just as long as I don't have to do it again!

4 comments:

CARRIE said...

I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

It is SO LAME to have a pregnant woman not eat for 12 hours, FOR NO GOOD REASON.

Heather said...

I'm dreading the glucose test. Last time I passed out. "Let's make the pregnant lady faint" is not a fun game!

Erin said...

That's terrible. I never had to do that, though I spent three damn hours in the OB's office on more than several occassions. I mean, I know they're out DELIVERING BABIES and all, but still. I had a DAMN APPOINTMENT!

Whew. Still a little resentful...

Bummer about Rachel Ray. Speaking of cooking, if you like cooking shows, do you ever check out thepioneerwomancooks.com? Awesomely awesome site.