Saturday, February 10, 2007

Favoritism

I love having a little boy. And I love having a little girl...more than I ever thought I could. One of my favorite reasons for having one of each? I can keep calling Andrew "My favorite little boy" because Lily gets to be "My favorite little girl".

This morning, Andrew was making me laugh (as usual). Want to know why? Shadow pooped in Andrew's play room, and I was cleaning it up. Andrew says, "Shadow plays for the Poopers". Maybe this isn't as funny to you all...but Andrew is always relating everything to sports. We were playing soccer a few weeks ago, and Andrew's nose was running all over the place. I said he played for the "boogers". Now he makes up sports teams all the time. Shadow playing for the Poopers cracked me up. What can I say? I'm still a sucker for the potty humor.

ANYHOO, I was laughing and I told Andrew he is my favorite boy in the whole wide world.
He said, "What about Lily?".
G- "She's my favorite GIRL in the whole wide world."
A-"Yes, but who's your favorite, Lily or me?"
G-"Do I have to choose? I don't think I can. Why do I have to choose?"
A-"Because your favorite will be your superhero."
G-"Well, I think I need a boy superhero and a girl superhero, so can you both be my superheros?"
A-"Yea, that's okay."

Phew. Dodged that one. I didn't think the whole favorite thing would come out so early. I'll have to get out that book my friend Angie got me at my baby shower, You're All My Favorites, by Sam McBratney.

The truth of the matter is, I honestly don't favor one over the other. Maybe it's because Lily is too little to really have a personality yet. My mom always said she didn't have a favorite, and I just thought she was lying. But I can't imagine loving one of my children more than the other. Lily has only been here 4 months, and she has captured a piece of my heart just a big as Andrew's piece. Sure, I have more memories of Andrew...heck, he'll always be 3 years ahead of Lily. Sure Andrew did things "first". But by some miracle of miracles, Lily has just weaseled her way in. I compare the two all the time...but not in a judgemental way. Just in wonderment that two little people can be so different at such a young age.

So it's true! Andrew IS my favorite little boy in the whole world. And Lily IS my favorite little girl in the whole world. No questions. No doubts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured that book would come in handy :)

When are you coming to visit us again!?!

Anonymous said...

This post is so sweet! I feel the same way about my girls, and always tell Megan that she's my "favorite 4-year-old" in the whole world and that Hannah is my "favorite 2-year-old". That way, they still both get to be my favorites, too!