Friday, February 23, 2007

A more positive post...

...to balance out my WHINE in the other post today.

Andrew is so dang cute. Cute really doesn't do him justice, but since I haven't used my brain for anything other than mommy-talk lately, I can't really come up with a better word. Here are my top 5 things about Andrew at this moment:

1) I get compliments about him everywhere we go. He is so polite and talkative, people just want to tell me about it. And you know what? I never get sick of hearing about him. I love the look on people's faces when we are in the grocery and Andrew almost runs into a cart and immediately says, "Oh, excuse me" or "Sorry". Their faces amuse me every time. Or at gym class when he sits patiently on the bolster waiting for his turn. I take very little credit for his behavior...I know I just got lucky to get a kid this good. But the compliments still make me proud...I'm so proud he's mine.

2) He is officially living in an imaginary world. Just as my sister got a kid that has the same interests as her (all that art!), my child is turning out to be just like me. It's fun and scary at the same time. He talks to imaginary people quite a bit now. I love when we're in a conversation and he turns to talk to his friend...whom I can't see. Or when he comes up to me holding an invisible object...and wants me to play with it. I can't stress how cool it is to have a kid that literally needs nothing to play with. His imagination is all he needs.

3) He loves his baby sister. I love to catch him giving her a quick snuggle, or stopping to explain something to her or show her something. It makes my heart skip a beat to watch him protecting her when we're out in public...announcing to all strangers, "That's my sister. Her name is Lily." It makes me so glad I puked for 5 months. ;)

4) He is silly silly silly. He will spontaneously wiggle and dance...just to make us laugh. He will repeat funny things he's said...just to make us laugh. His budding sense of humor is so charming that despite ourselves, Jeff and I laugh at just about anything he does...even if it is bad.

5) He is getting more and more wily by the day. Too smart for his own good. Has an answer for everything. As an example: we were driving home from an outing with Grandma and Grandpa. He'd already eaten his body weight in candy, and he still had a candy necklace left to eat. I told him he had to wait. He wanted it bad. So we made a "deal" (Andrew's a big deal-maker). He could hold hit, but not eat it. I was sitting behind him in the van, so I couldn't see what he was doing, and Lily isn't old enough to tell on him yet. Grandpa went to get him out, and Andrew was sucking on the necklace. Here's the conversation:

"Andrew, I thought you were told not to eat that candy necklace"
"I'm not eating it. I'm just tasting it."

Which is true. He hadn't "eaten" a single one. But he had licked almost all of them...simply tasting them. We were trying our hardest not to snicker at that one.

He is Trouble with a capital "T". But I love him for it.

Dang-it. I can think of a few other favorite things about Andrew right now. But I'll stop. Save them for another day. I love this kid. (stay tuned for my 5 favorite things about Lily...she's squealing beside me at the moment)

No comments: