Monday, February 05, 2007

More Andrew stories

I'm sorry if this is getting monotonous...Andrew is just cracking me up lately, and I really want to write this stuff down. For my own sake, you know?

We had guests for dinner to watch the Superbowl Sunday. And for the first time ever, Jeff and I realized with wonder how great it is to have people over when they bring a playmate for Andrew over. Matthew and Andrew get along GREAT, and Andrew is finally at the age where he really enjoys other children's attention more than adults. Matthew is a year younger, so he isn't quite at that stage yet...but Andrew doesn't seem to notice. It was loads of fun.

This morning at breakfast, Andrew was whispering something. I asked him to speak up. He said, "I love Mommy. I love Daddy. I love Lily. I love Shadow. I love Matthew. I love Matthew's mommy. I love Matthew's daddy. I love Memere. I love Pepere. I love Grandma. I love Grandpa." Funny little guy.

We visited his new pre-school today. We got a call last week that they had an opening in their 2 year old program. It is in the afternoon ;P...but since Andrew's only been napping about 3 days out of 7, I jumped at the chance to get him some social interaction. So we went to visit and meet his teachers today. He was so SHY (partly because he'd stayed up so late for Superbowl last night). Anyway, he was hiding behind my legs, and the teacher asked him if he'd like to play with some of the toys on the floor. He sticks his head out from behind me and says, "I'm only VISITING today." So there. He also informed them that the Colts won and the Bears lost. They got a real kick out of that. I felt like saying...oh, that's only the tip of the Andrew iceberg...but I refrained.

We had lunch today, and when I served Andrew he said, and I quote, "Mommy, this looks fabulous. -pause- You should write that in my calendar." We have created such an ego-maniac. But you know what...? I went over and wrote that in his calendar. As I'm writing it, I read out loud what I'm writing. Andrew says, "Write incredible instead of fabulous, Mom". Like he wants to edit his cute sayings for posterity sake. Weirdo.

Jeff came home just after Andrew woke up from his nap. He had to run right back out to visit our insurance agent...and Andrew wanted to go with him. You have to understand that Jeff is like a celebrity when he gets home from work. Andrew is ECSTATIC. He goes from staring at his boring mother all day...whom he has to share with a baby, to having this incredibly cool man at his beck and call. I mean, Dad plays Goofy Skateboarding with him! How cool is that. So Jeff runs back out the door, and Andrew is just standing there, dejected, with tears in his eyes. I knew Jeff would be back in 15 minutes or so, so I managed to get Andrew to help me make Daddy a smoothie to get his mind off the abandonment. Turns out smoothies don't taste so good when it's 5 degrees outside. But it was the thought that counts, right?

So we have our little chart Andrew's been working on? For a week we've been waiting for Andrew to eat 2 new foods so we can FINALLY go to Chuck E Cheese. He did it...during dinner tonight. And guess what? He wanted to go RIGHT NOW. It's going to take a lot of convincing and distracting to make him wait until dinner tomorrow. I kind of didn't think this whole thing through.

And so she doesn't feel left out...here's a Lily story. I played peek a boo with her today...and she LOVED it. She doesn't have object permanence yet, so she thinks I disappear every time that diaper goes in front of my face. Imagine her shock and amazement when Mommy reappears magically! Giggles and squeals ensue. She is so daggone cute!!! And she is learning how to just charm from across the room. Apparently she flirts with people when she's in her Baby Bjorn. Because I CANNOT get through a store without a zillion people coming up to talk to her. And while I impatiently smile and make small talk (all the while trying to keep tabs on the 3 year old running through the store), Lily is chatting it up with strangers, melting them with her 100 kW smile.

No comments: