Sunday, February 11, 2007

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

No, it's not Jeff's birthday. It's sad that he does get called Dad most of the time by me when then kids are around. This post is about my ACTUAL, original Dad. You know...the one that's known me for almost 30 years.

My dad turns 60 today. S-I-X-T-Y. Doesn't that seem old? He doesn't. He's so youthful, that one of his best friends is my 3 year old. Seriously...they are on the same page. He doesn't repeat stories over and over, he very rarely needs a cane, and his teeth don't pop out (only because he has crowns holding them all in). Sure his hair is silver and his ears/eyebrows/nose hairs are trying to take over his face. But my dad is young at heart, and it shows every day...in all his weird ways.

So let me tell you about my dad.

1) He has an amazingly optimistic outlook on life. He was born the 3rd of 8 kids, and sandwiched in between no less (15 mos younger and 11 mos older than his closest siblings). He struggled through school and was...shall we say...an awkward teenager. Yet he looks back and finds humor in his past. I can't help but think if someone else was in his shoes, they would blame their parents etc etc, making excuses for present behaviors. But my dad has persevered...he works so hard and he is incredibly good at maneuvering through life. My sister's inherited this work ethic...I can only admire from the sidelines.

2) He loves his family and he's the ultimate care-taker. My dad has always worked hard. And there was never a moment of doubt in my mind that his family would always come first. Looking back, I don't know how he fit in those 4-square games, or countless board games, but we were well taken care of. Nothing makes a child more secure than knowing you come first. And I love that he calls separate to talk, because he really wants to talk to me...not just listen through my mom's ears. Oh, and he loves my mother. I mean like newlyweds. I always have thought of him as my mother's bulldog. He doesn't even need to know what happened...he's there defending my mother. Talk about setting high standards. I didn't know if I'd ever find someone that would treat me as well as my father treats my mother.

3) He loves to spoil us...and surprise us. Mom and Dad would/will tell us that we are independent people with money of our own...and on the way out the door, Dad will slip a $20 in our pockets. He's constantly giving all that he has. I still remember when he helped us out when we were in a pickle in CA...he knows I don't like to accept money, so he attached a note, "Please accept this help. All I ask in return is that someday you help your children when they need it." How can I refuse that?

4) So he is the best dad in the world. But he's an even better grandpa. He is adored by all his grandchildren. No one lights up Andrew like his Pepere... I caught him saying something silly to Lily the other day. He then told her, "Pepere talks like that. He's silly." Setting up for another grandchild to ADORE their Pepere.

This is getting long. I could probably write a whole book about how wonderful my father is. I know he thinks that he's been replaced in my heart by Jeff and Andrew and Lily. But no one can ever replace him...he's still got a hold of a huge piece of my heart. That's why it's so hard to live so far away...I miss him. There are certain things that no one will ever do as well as my Dad...things that will never be as fun without him around. I used to be a game-a-holic. But the longer I live away from my Dad, the less I play. I now realize that it isn't the game that I love...it's the time with Dad. So playing without him seems a little hollow...a little pointless. What can I say...I'm still a Daddy's girl!

I love you Dad! Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet! It really hit home for me today as we get ready to move farther away from my own mom and dad! I'm sure both he and your mom will cry while reading it...heck...I did!

Kelsey said...

I certainly hope your father reads this Giselle. I'm crying over my keyboard here. What a lovely tribute. . .