Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

We are NOT a Valentine's Day kind of couple. Despite phone calls from his mother every year, Jeff never quite got the hint that women like to be spoiled on this day.

Until we had Andrew. Now every Valentine's Day there is a card from my boy. This year, there was candy for me outside Lily's room, candy and a card from Andrew (A card with a big picture of salami on the outside...Jeff wrote inside, Happy Valentine's day, Mommy-salami--one of Andrew's favorite rhymes right now...cute, eh?), and a card and box of candy from Jeff.

Jeff had already left for work. Andrew brought me the heart shaped box of chocolates from Jeff. I looked at the box. Elmer's chocolates? Jeff's doing better, but he has this terrible habit of picking out obscure chocolate brands that end up tasting more like cardboard than chocolate. So the conversation went like this:

Andrew- Mommy, Daddy got you these chocolates.
Giselle- Oh, isn't he a good husband! Wait a minute! Elmer's?!?! Daddy has such terrible taste in chocolates. These probably won't taste very good.
A- They will taste good Mommy, because I picked them out.
G- (stammering) Oh....well I didn't know YOU picked them...they must be delicious. Give me a big hug. (Big Dumb Mommy Moment)

Oops. Now it makes sense. This box has a picture of a cartoon bear hugging a heart on it. I can see the struggle in the drugstore as Jeff tries to purchase a box of yummy Russell-Stover...but that box is plain old red. That's no fun! We should pick out the one with the teddy bear on it! Seems to me I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...especially when choosing whether or not to eat the things my son picks out.

Happy Valentine's Day!

BTW...it's Andrew's 3rd day of school...and it was called off for snow. I never had this kind of luck with school snow days. Too bad he misses his first V-day party...at least he doesn't know what he's missing.

No comments: