Monday, February 19, 2007

It's so hard to say goodbye

Living far from family SUCKS. In a word.

We just finished a quick weekend with Jeff's parents. Andrew, Lily, and I had lunch out with them, and then they left for the airport from the restaurant. Andrew said goodbye with hugs and kisses in the parking lot. We pulled out to go home and Andrew says, "I love Grandma and Grandpa. I can't wait to see them again so Grandma won't be sad. It's okay to be sad, right? It's okay to cry right? I think I'm going to cry."

And he proceeded to cry the whole way home. Even stoic old, dry-eyed me got worked up with that one. His wails were those of someone with a broken heart. He just loves his Grandma and Grandpa so much...

(BTW...a few minutes into his crying jag, he said to me, "Maybe...maybe...-sob-...when we get home...-cry-...maybe we can watch Bob the Builder. -sob- hiccup- I think that would make me feel better...-cry-" If only all of us could cure homesickness and missing our loved ones with a little episode of Bob the Builder.)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I know exactly how Andrew feels. It does suck, even if you only live far away from half your family. I hope it won't be too long between visits.

Andrea said...

awh... that has to be one of the sweetest things ever.
What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend (end of May) I have a long weekend then and was thinking I'd grab a plane ticket and fly out to visit. (I also have $50 off of any plane ticket going anywhere...) Let me know!! And thank you so much for the valentine's package. I'll tell you more about getting it later... Oh, and I never got the card with Lily's pictures :( I guess she's so cute someone else had to have them!